Slow roasts with Behmor 1600

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Luckycharms

Postby Luckycharms » Feb 17, 2019, 6:45 am

Hi all,

I've been struggling with slow roasts on my Behmor 1600 for a long while now. I moved from the US to the UK 5 years ago, and picked up a 3000W 220/110 voltage converter when I did so. Roasting was fine for a while as I seem to recall, but then got slower. It takes me about 10 minutes to get to 1st crack with 1/4 lb (113g). This seems very slow. I put a thermocouple in the chamber when I did a 1/2 lb dry run, and the temp got up to around 218 deg C when it turned the coils off. It dropped to around 208 before turning them back on again (according to the thermocouple). Tech support seems to think those numbers sound about right.

I've replaced the transformer, circuit board, and thermocouple, all to no avail. I've measured the voltage suppled with a Fluke multimeter to be around 118V, so that doesn't seem to be a major issue. The supply delivers its voltage at 50Hz, not the US standard 60 Hz, and that could be a problem according to Behmor tech support. Nonetheless, if the temp is getting to the right value, I'm a bit flummoxed as to why my roasts are slow.

I'm wondering what temps others get in the chamber... maybe mine is low after all? Any other thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Allie

yakster

Postby yakster » Feb 17, 2019, 2:12 pm

A UK Behmor run at 220 would be the best solution if you're planning on staying. I don't believe that you have slow roast issues with one. Do you have the Behmor Plus control board? If so, there's no pre-heat limit, you could pre-heat longer before starting your roast.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Luckycharms

Postby Luckycharms » Feb 18, 2019, 5:04 am

Thanks. Don't have the plus panel, and yes could buy a new UK model, but... $$$... and not sure how long we'll be here...

pcofftenyo

Postby pcofftenyo » Feb 19, 2019, 1:14 pm

My Behmor had a thermal top limit on pre-heat as well as regular heat cycling so you can only do so much that way.

yakster

Postby yakster » Feb 19, 2019, 1:22 pm

Was yours a plus model? The Plus board doesn't have a thermal limit on pre-heat.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

pcofftenyo

Postby pcofftenyo » Feb 20, 2019, 11:30 am

Yes Yakster, mine was a plus model. It would go to cooling if I pre-heated too long on P5. Any activity exceeding the thermal limit triggered an automatic cool cycle. It was bought new from an authorized seller as a Plus. Plenty of experience on it as I roasted 2lb +/- a week on it for 2.5 years.

Luckycharms

Postby Luckycharms » Feb 20, 2019, 12:26 pm

hey folks - i appreciate the activity on my thread, but at this point i think it could be considered thread-jacking. Please do keep the discussion here relevant to the original post... i still have a slow roast problem, and your conversation here makes it less likely to get addressed... On that note, can anyone share with me the internal temps they get when doing both dry and 1/2 runs?

ira

Postby ira » Feb 20, 2019, 1:24 pm

These are things you shouldn't do, but they might help.

Loosen the screws holding the temperature sensors to the wall so they do not measure correctly or put something under them and then tighten the screws. Depending upon what you do, the roaster will run a little to a lot hotter. My roaster has no thermostats any more and I've seen preheat go considerably past 600F with no apparent consequences. Not that I'm suggesting it, once you make changes you have to be responsible for what happens.

Ira
http://www.roasterthing.com/frankenbehmor

dfrench200

Postby dfrench200 » Feb 20, 2019, 5:18 pm

I am certainly no expert on roasting but Ill share a recent time and temp from a recent roast. I will say that my roast times vary depending on external temps, and whether or not my furnace is running. Again I am no expert but I do not see a huge difference in my roast success with it lasting a minute or two longer or shorter.
I roasted a half pound of Yemen Mokha Harasi yesterday. Set it to 1lb, P5 (100% power), and fast drum speed. External temp (roasting outside) was about 40 deg. I did no warm up and first crack started at 11:47 ended the roast just before second crack at 14:00.
Did another roast today with 12 oz and the 1st crack was at 14:47. First crack starting at 10 min for a 1/4 lbs doesn't seem that far off to me.
Not sure this helps, just wanted to share my experience.

Luckycharms

Postby Luckycharms » Feb 22, 2019, 5:40 am

Thanks all. @dfrench, especially appreciate the numbers. Did you happen to have temp measurements from inside the oven?

@ira - i'm not averse to tweaking things, though given that i've installed a new temp sensor, i'm not sure that's the issue. Even if the power input isn't up to snuff, i'd expect the control circuitry to get the temp up to as close as possible to the design temp... That is to say, if the power is the problem, I wouldn't expect that tweaking the temp sensor would fix it...