RTD - choices - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Almico

#11: Post by Almico »

OK, OK...I have to try a magnehelic. Thanks Mike!!

And issues with chaff and other coffee off-charges?

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#12: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Ben,

there are other Ambient sensors you can add as well. That would fill your Vint Hub - 2 RTDs, Air Pressure the 3 Ambients

Ambient Temperature
$15
Ambient Humidity
$20
Ambient Absolute Air Pressure/Barometer
$15
Phidget Cables
$9
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#13: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Almico wrote:OK, OK...I have to try a magnehelic. Thanks Mike!!

And issues with chaff and other coffee off-charges?
I suppose that might depend on where you connect the air hose. I haven't thought of that issue though.

The reason I haven't done this is I am working with RTD maker to see if they can get me a 2"probe with some transition protection for my drop door BT probe.

I have a Word doc with what I have found if anyone wants it email at my user name at gmail.

It has various links embedded it it.
Artisan.Plus User-

Almico

#14: Post by Almico »

The reason I ask is because I have to clean out the exhaust tube on the top off my roaster every couple of months. I get this very "lint like" substance that clings to the walls of everything down stream of the drum.

I got a stock 6" probe from TC Direct. I have 2" poking in and 4" sticking out. It's a 4-wire.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#15: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I was advised that the portion sticking out influences the readings as well. That must all be relative and I know you know your temps well so it may not matter. So what you see as 400 might be 405 inside the drum? Just what I was told.
Artisan.Plus User-

EddyQ

#16: Post by EddyQ »

Beeroclock wrote: I've added a Magnehelic to measure airflow - I have a damper system)
I've been using that Magnehelic for over a year now, connected approximately where you have yours. I added an inline filter to make certain nothing gets into the gauge.

The first thing that the gauge showed me was how unstable my fan was. I replaced that with a VFD fan and it has been fantastic. I now can compensate for windy days. And yes, it clearly shows when my piping gets the slightest buildup and needing cleaning.

However, I would like to add the "airflow pressure" to an Artisan trace. That Phidget device may be added some day.
LMWDP #671

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#17: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Eddie,

can you tell us what inline filter you added? That would be helpful for me to add to the documentation.
Artisan.Plus User-

Almico

#18: Post by Almico »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:I was advised that the portion sticking out influences the readings as well. That must all be relative and I know you know your temps well so it may not matter. So what you see as 400 might be 405 inside the drum? Just what I was told.
I get an honest 380*F for 1C. I offset it in Artisan with a .97 multiplier to display 370*F. I really don't think the shaft affects it much. The sensor is at the very tip.

EddyQ

#19: Post by EddyQ »

I just checked the filter for the first time since I installed (maybe 400lb of roasts).

So it would seem the need is not significant. But I feel good knowing it is there.

The filter is a Dwyer A-392.
LMWDP #671

Beeroclock (original poster)

#20: Post by Beeroclock (original poster) »

My thoughts were that it's measuring negative air pressure - i.e sucking from the low input - but there should be a filter on the high input. But I'm new to this so probably wrong.,