Royal Now Selling 1lb Crown Jewel Samples!

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
spromance

#1: Post by spromance »

No clue when this changed, as I hadn't heard anything through Royal's email subscription/webinars, but really stoked to see today that they are finally offering a selection of their Crown Jewels in 1lb samples! There are 13 coffees available currently, which is less than the total number of Crown Jewels available, but I'm guessing that's only because they're just now getting it launched...

Probably worth noting that as it pertains to home roasting green sourcing, buying single pounds of CJ's won't be cost effective or competitive with other quality green retailers. As an example, their Mexican Bella Vista coffee is listed at $9.33 per 1lb bag (vs $136.84 per 22lb box, which breaks down to $6.22/lb). Nonetheless, this will be a great way to test drive a special coffee before committing big bucks to a whole 22lb box (e.g. any of their Kenyans which I imagine are spectacular, but that I've previously just been too nervous about spending $200+ on), and/or a great way to simply roast a couple small batches of a really special/expensive coffee (e.g. their Yemens) as a one-off treat.

If you ever read this Royal, thanks a ton for launching this! Pretty excited to place my first order of a few different 1lb CJs and "taste the rainbow," before buying another full box.

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

That's great news. I'd rather spend 9 to 10 dollars per pound on a large variety of high end coffees than do the same great one at half the price all the time. But if most of us are micro and nano-roasters, I'm a pico or femto-roaster.
Jim Schulman

Shawnaks5
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Shawnaks5 »

Good stuff! Thanks so much for the heads up! I'm going to take a look at their offerings today!

winslette

#4: Post by winslette »

This is great news. I remember during their home roasting webinar months ago they mentioned that they were looking to do something like this. Hoping that it works for them and gives us another option for quality fresh greens.

ducats

#5: Post by ducats »

I'm seeing $7 flat rate shipping. So $10.55 Kenyan becomes $17.55/lb ... probably makes sense to get several offerings, right? :D
Anyone know how Crown Jewels typically score compared to say Mill City 87+ and Sweet Marias 92+

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

spromance wrote:
Probably worth noting that as it pertains to home roasting green sourcing, buying single pounds of CJ's won't be cost effective or competitive with other quality green retailers. As an example, their Mexican Bella Vista coffee is listed at $9.33 per 1lb bag (vs $136.84 per 22lb box, which breaks down to $6.22/lb).
Yes & that $136.84 price for 22 lbs includes shipping which ran about $27 a box in 2017 so the actual BV coffee price is around $5.00 a lb. Their 1 lb prices seem quite high since you are paying shipping on top of that.
LMWDP 267

CarefreeBuzzBuzz
Supporter

#7: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I looked through these and under "Taste" I see an aeropress and pour over. Is the aeropress meant to say good for espresso? Seems strange to me.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz
___
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by JohnB. »

No, they don't make espresso recommendations. Guess they never bought an espresso machine for the office.
LMWDP 267

Shawnaks5
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Shawnaks5 » replying to JohnB. »

It looks like they actually do make espresso recommendations...

For the Mexico Bella Vista...If you go here: https://royalcoffee.com/product/cj1348s/ you can see in the intro that Chris says "this selection will make a very nice single origin espresso in addition to a drip offering."

Also, for the same coffee under the Quest M3S tab, Candace says "As the coffee cooled, it was like sipping mulled orange juice, warm, bright, round and smooth. I cannot wait to roast this up as a jammy sweet espresso."

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. » replying to Shawnaks5 »

Yet no one had actually tried them as espresso. I asked about it when I bought the recent Yemen Crown Jewel & was told that they were only doing the brew methods but it sounds like that may be changing.
LMWDP 267