Royal Now Selling 1lb Crown Jewel Samples! - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
GC7

#11: Post by GC7 »

If they let you buy 5 1 lb. samples of the same coffee that would be ideal. Throw in another coffee of interest in there and it's not much different then ordering from my standard vendors.

cmapes

#12: Post by cmapes replying to GC7 »

Completely agree, I'd be looking at picking up 5lb lots myself. If they could do like the NY Royal Fractional store that'd be great. Except the NY Royal Fractional store needs to add USPS flat rate priority to the shipping options. It's a bummer to see 5lbs being $30 in shipping, whereas 30lbs is only ~$10 more to ship.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by yakster »

Another vote for 5# batches which would give me about 3 roasts of a particular coffee in my Bullet.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#14: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

cmapes wrote:Completely agree, I'd be looking at picking up 5lb lots myself. If they could do like the NY Royal Fractional store that'd be great. Except the NY Royal Fractional store needs to add USPS flat rate priority to the shipping options. It's a bummer to see 5lbs being $30 in shipping, whereas 30lbs is only ~$10 more to ship.
I think the sample program is to expand the 22 lbs lot sales. Agree on Fractional. I think not having the Flat Rate is a way to disguise margins and its easier to have UPS or FedEx pick up. I encountered this when buying parts for my roaster upgrade.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

cmapes

#15: Post by cmapes replying to CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I suspect the same thing, but you can encourage the wanted customer behavior by simply pricing the different quantities at an amount that is "worth it" for their business. That way if the customers buy larger quantities, that's a win. If they buy smaller quantities and pay more, that's also a win since they're still getting their needed margin out of less sold goods.

Maybe packing those orders takes 5-10 mins so you might want +30/6 = $5 in extra margin to cover that. No problem, add a "small order" handling fee below 22 lbs. USPS also does do scheduled pickups so I couldn't see why that's not a reasonable solution for them. But they might have their own reasons.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#16: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to cmapes »

Chris, great points. Fingers can get crossed. At some point the small guy is a distraction. Coke just closed Odwalla. In a prior life I lived off their green whatever in the mornings. Maybe with this feedback they will consider other approaches.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Jrodanapolis

#17: Post by Jrodanapolis »

I would very much be interested in 5 lb samples - just for another data point. I typically roast for myself/fiance, a couple friends and my dad. I've been almost exclusively buying 5 lb bags from Sweet Maria's or Bodhi Leaf, but always have my eye on crown jewels and have been considering posting about group buys on here because 22 lbs is just a little too much for me, unless I knew that I was going to be really happy about roasting ~30 batches of it. At $10/lb + shipping, I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on 5 individual bags quite yet. But the crown jewels are look so enticing, I'd love to start trying them and 5 lb options would certainly make me branch out.

maccompatible

#18: Post by maccompatible »

Jrodanapolis wrote:I would very much be interested in 5 lb samples - just for another data point.
+1 for me as well
"Wait. People drink coffee just for the caffeine??"
LMWDP #628

HB
Admin

#19: Post by HB »

Royal Coffee wrote:I am both amazed and flattered that you all have been watching so closely! <snip> <snip> <snip>
Would you take a moment and read the site's guidelines on vendor participation in the forums? I've removed your last few posts because they clearly fall under the "no commercial posts" rule.
Dan Kehn

ducats

#20: Post by ducats »

+1 for 5#

Pertinent info/update could be sent through The Royal Newsletter perhaps?