Royal Kenya Nyeri Ichamama Crown Jewel - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
winslette (original poster)

#11: Post by winslette (original poster) »

Well I wouldn't take much from it because I am still only 20 roasts in on the Bullet, but this bean hasn't acted like any other that I have roasted on it. I have been unable to control my RoR post turning point with most of RoRs going flat or even increasing. I still have a lot to learn about roasting and the machine in general, but here are my three attempts total:

June 29th: https://roast.world/my/roasts/dtDwRI5KprNn9fBGKuUJp
FC: 160.5 ℃ @ 05:36
End: 180.3 ℃ @ 07:15
% loss: 11.1%

June 30th: https://roast.world/my/roasts/iTbSMrbJk8ZnEy6zG4Kv6
FC: 166.3 ℃ @ 06:13
End: 175.7 ℃ @ 07:51
% loss: 10.4%

July 4th: https://roast.world/my/roasts/kaW4G9knWOHKSyA6GM8fv
FC: 180.1 ℃ @ 06:15
End: 189.8 ℃ @ 7:59
% loss:11.4%

It should be noted that my first two were done at 350g before I went back to my standard 500g to see if I could get more control. I feel my last roast would have been best, but it crashed hard at 1C and didn't develop as much as I wanted. I have extraction data from the 30th and 4th, and compared to other beans with the same pour style, it has extracted consistently about .1% TDS lower. I've felt the best one to be my first roast with more development, mainly due to the cherry smell of the grounds. I cupped it and had classic signs of being too fast at the end. It would have been good as espresso I feel.

jammin

#12: Post by jammin »

20 roasts is hardly enough to season a new roaster so no need to bother with worrisome exemptions.

IMHO though you may try reducing your time % spent in development as well as your delta +1C. If it were me, I would increase time to 1C in parallel with achieving these goals.
Thanks for sharing. I encourage everyone to post your results & baseline data to help all of us improve

jammin

#13: Post by jammin »

anyone else still working with this coffee?

i got a nice curve out of it last night that im looking forward to trying out soon:
8:15 overall, 10.3% loss, 1:12 development for 14.5%

[creative nickname]

#14: Post by [creative nickname] »

I was traveling for the early part of the summer and then I needed to iron out some kinks of my roasting setup in the new house, so I'm just starting out with this one. Life is hectic but I'll try to post a profile soon!
LMWDP #435

Rush

#15: Post by Rush »

This is faster roast, and shorter post start of crack than I have tried. Looks really nice! Please share cupping notes if you can. I'll try to cup my latest roast tomorrow. I'll provide the curves as well. I am enjoying all of my roasts of this coffee!

[creative nickname]

#16: Post by [creative nickname] »

Here's my first try at this one, tasting notes to follow soon:

LMWDP #435