Royal Crown Jewels Colombia Caicedonia Sudan Rume Notes

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Cafeneo

Postby Cafeneo » Feb 13, 2018, 2:30 pm

Hi all,

Realize that these beans have been discussed previously but I'm not aware of a discussion dedicated to its roasting/parameters/suggestions. I am relatively new to the game of roasting but figured I'd offer today's roast for discussion. I will include taste notes when I 'cup' it in a few days. What I've roasted previously will be included shortly as well.

Cupping my prior roasts today offered wonderful unique aroma of herbs/spices beyond my descriptive abilities. However taste v60 pourover 1:16 was spectacularly unique. Others have thrown out Cardamom and yes I notice it but my more mundane palate notices cinnamon, ginger, honey and spice, along with a little tomato(yes you heard it here first!) . Floral rose also noticed but not obnoxiously so. Well balanced. If anything I might roast slightly longer overall time but aiming for 23-24% or so dev time.

genecounts

Postby genecounts » Feb 13, 2018, 9:10 pm

Javier:

Missed out on this one as Crown had sold out. You dumped this one at 413. But you plan to go deeper with your next roast? Please keep us informed.

Did buy a box of the Columbia Aratoca Oscar Daza Crown Jewel and did a roast last Thursday. At 2200MSL knew had to apply extra heat due to bean hardness. Took it off at 417 and it is a sugar and fruit bomb. So much so I'll take this one up into the 420's tomorrow so can blend
I'm also considering a FC roast of this one for espresso and that would be in 440 range

By the way most of my light roasts have come out of the roaster at 417 past year or so as that seems to be the sweet spot for V-60 IMO.

Cafeneo

Postby Cafeneo » replying to genecounts » Feb 14, 2018, 7:29 pm

For my roaster(fz-94) and thermocouple 414-417 typically takes me into 'medium' range. I usually like 20-30 sec past FC end/ prior to SC as my baseline then adjust from there. I don't believe I'll take it any higher than that. But what I have done yesterday is a 10 min roast with 23% dev time ending at 410. I'm hopeful this will be the best one to pull spro on. Again - I'm still new at this and In process of understanding how to control my roaster — takes multiple iterations for me to get where I want to be. Hopefully soon enough I can whittle that down to 2-3 roasts instead of 6-8. The process is the fun!

aecletec

Postby aecletec » Feb 14, 2018, 7:46 pm

Yeah my FZ usually reads around 160C when FC occurs due to a 5mm probe, so take others measurements as a basic concept and scale down like you're doing and you'll be fine!
Coincidentally I asked an engineer friend about the thickness and he preferred innate analogue filtering via the thicker probe than adding digital to a thinner one. Of course preferences are heated in this topic!

Rangen

Postby Rangen » Apr 05, 2018, 9:56 pm

So far I have had the best luck with Geisha-like parameters -- charging at relatively high temperatures, under the assumption that these canoe-shaped beans are a bit delicate, and I want them to absorb plenty of heat by contact, before hitting them with flame, which I also keep moderate, and dropping the heat substantially after FC is rolling, to allow for development without too much temperature rise. I had better luck dropping 1:30 after FC start, than 2:00.

Still experimenting, but enjoying this coffee very much.