Royal Crown Jewel: Yemen Al-Haymah Rooftop Raised Bed Natural

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
texmachina

#1: Post by texmachina »

Evening all! A quick update. I roasted a batch of this incredible coffee yesterday, and just brewed a cup, post roast ~24hrs. If you were a fan, and have been missing Starbucks' Arabia Mocha Sanani (as I have for many years), this bean will slap you in the face in the best way possible with a healthy dose of nostalgia.

Deep rich cocoa, tobacco, dried cherry, herb, a unique rose note. Acid is well balanced, and the cup is incredibly juicy/wet. I roasted a touch darker than I think I should have, and can't wait to play around with the profile on this guy. Looking forward to comparing notes and seeing what others get from it with different profiles! Here is mine as a starting point. Next batch I am going to try dropping closer to the end of FC (FC was super powerful and quick) as well as dropping heat 1min or so preFC to try and kick that flick & dip.

dale_cooper

#2: Post by dale_cooper »

I've never even tasted a Yemen, let alone roasted one.... Your post may have pushed me over the edge to buy this crown jewel.... :D

texmachina (original poster)

#3: Post by texmachina (original poster) »

If it tasted like it did with a mediocre roast, I can't wait to see what I can do with it. It's good enough that experimenting with it is somewhat painful...

Zaneemomo
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Zaneemomo »

My box arrives Thursday, looking forward to it.

jammin

#5: Post by jammin »

I roasted a quick pound of this tonight.

@ texmachina - did you roast for & brew this as espresso? I picked this up for an SOE - didn't sound interesting as a pour over.

#6: Post by texmachina (original poster) »

jammin wrote:did you roast for & brew this as espresso? I picked this up for an SOE - didn't sound interesting as a pour over.
So, I have not cracked open the sealed bag yet. I roasted just enough to fill a 12oz with a little left over to try as a pour over the next day (where the tasting notes above came from). I am giving them another day or so to rest before breaking into them. My intention with the slightly darker roast is for a SOE and I can't wait to try and pull a few shots either tomorrow or Wednesday!

Boldjava

#7: Post by Boldjava »

Shoot, I don't touch a Yemen until 5 days post roast. Courageous man.
-----
LMWDP #339

#8: Post by texmachina (original poster) »

Ha, I always leave a little out of the sealed bag to cup within 12hours. Mostly because I am impatient... Usually, they are less "dimensional" that soon after a roast, but this Yemeni did not disappoint. I am pretty excited to try it in a day or so to see how it developed. The complexity is out of this world.

drcraig

#9: Post by drcraig »

I need to buy a box of this coffee!

kbell

#10: Post by kbell »

Mine is due to arrive tomorrow! Now I'm getting excited.