Royal Crown Jewel: Yemen Al-Haymah Rooftop Raised Bed Natural - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
texmachina (original poster)

#11: Post by texmachina (original poster) »

I bought a few boxes and have some extra stashed away if anyone is interested in a few pounds! DM me

jammin

#12: Post by jammin »

3 days post roast & my first swing @ this coffee is opening up. It hits all the notes outlined from the Crown. It roasts evenly & steadily with a late 1C onset. I'd hazard to take this a bit darker to emphasize the chocolates but it appears that it would cup well across a wide range.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#13: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Jackson this is interesting to me since we have similar roasters and I only have 3 lbs that I got from Jacob so I want to understand it. Are you on natural gas. I was wondering why the dry phase ROR only averaged 20. Jacob was at 37. So your long time to FC vs his very fast doesn't surprise me. You two might have some insights swapping some of the roasted beans. How did you brew it?

Would you mind posting your graph with your gas and air if you mark them.
Instructions here - https://artisan-scope.org/docs/events/

Here is the approach I am considering:

Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

#14: Post by texmachina (original poster) »

I'm down to swap some roasted beans! I was trying to replicate the somewhat quick time to FC as profiled in the Royal notes. So far, I only have one batch under my belt, and am seriously looking forward to the next; hopefully today or tomorrow.

jammin

#15: Post by jammin »

I still need to update Artisan to the latest revision & start logging gas & air.

I am on propane currently. Since this roast was for espresso, I wanted more area under the curve knowing it would be a light roast.
I find that fast roasts (less area under the curve) lack development for espresso, especially when ended light.

Although the slow & gentle progression to 1C yielded an unsurprisingly late 1C time/temp, I normally hit closer to 383*.

Edit:
For my next roast, I am going to apply more heat entering into & through the start of the browning phase. I'd like to end a bit darker in a similar total roast time.

#16: Post by texmachina (original poster) »

I am pulling it espresso today for the first time, and it is so good! So well balanced. 18g in; 30g out; 32sec

dale_cooper

#17: Post by dale_cooper »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Jackson this is interesting to me since we have similar roasters and I only have 3 lbs that I got from Jacob so I want to understand it. Are you on natural gas. I was wondering why the dry phase ROR only averaged 20. Jacob was at 37.
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious - maybe you'r easking why he did it, not how the ROR was only 20. It's only 20 because Jackson's turning point is WAY higher, so the rate at which it's rising after TP, to dry, is going to be lower. I'm guessing Jackson is using a considerable amount of heat at charge to influence that TP temp. Then he's letting off the gas shortly after TP... and letting off more through maillard to extend maillard and hopefully build more sugars/caramels.

Jackson could've hit FC just as quickly if he would've stayed on the gas during maillard. I reckon that's a tasty espresso roast though.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#18: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Joe maybe the obvious to someone roasting longer than me on a true gas drum. Would love him to confirm so I can understand. What makes this better for espresso than Jacob's method?
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

EddyQ

#19: Post by EddyQ »

dale_cooper wrote:I'm guessing Jackson is using a considerable amount of heat at charge to influence that TP temp. Then he's letting off the gas shortly after TP... and letting off more through maillard to extend maillard and hopefully build more sugars/caramels.
Sounds about right. Airflow could have been increased along with the gas let offs. Also, I'd bet it is a light load of beans.

Edit: The Yemen is gone from Royal website.
LMWDP #671

jammin

#20: Post by jammin »

Hello,

Michael I am unclear what you are unclear about :lol: I suspect you have a deeper question than RoR calculations from charge -> Dry.

I have reviewed both curves & noticed that my turning point is about 20 later & 45* higher. Perhaps more telling is the charge temp. I charged my roaster @ 350* which is about 80* lower than the OP's charge temp of 432*. If I charge charge @ 370 or above I would blow through drying quite rapidly & likely set some good momentum heading into browning/maillard.

Personally I have quit worrying about RoR numbers in a physical sense. Percentages of the 3 phases of a roast and overall time spent in each fascinate me most.

*for the record, I only roast 16oz loads (454g). This keeps bags of green coffee purchased by the pound even & reduces variables in the roast.