Roest - New Hi-Tech 100g Norwegian sample roaster - Page 7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
mathof

#61: Post by mathof »

aecletec wrote:The most expensive sample roaster, really? https://coffeetec.com/products/sample-r ... nt-edition
A very successful roastery in my area have an Ikawa, a couple Probatinos and then their larger roasters. They get small samples and will do cupping then more production style roasts on the Ikawa that they know what will transfer to the Probatino. They might get max 300g samples from a farmer - so they don't start on a 1kg roaster. If they like the coffee they might get a bag or two and experiment on the Probatinos as they are closer in profiles to the production roasters. Then if successful the beans are purchased for production.
The Ikawa doesn't transfer exactly but helps get an idea of a bean - if this roaster is closer to a drum in profile, then it may be useful for roasters like the ones I know.
I am surprised this method isn't common knowledge for those debating a sample roaster, but here we are.
Tim Wendelboe seems to use his in similar fashion:

https://www.ikawacoffee.com/tim-wendelboe/

Almico (original poster)

#62: Post by Almico (original poster) »

tossik wrote:It was in excellent condition and was sold due to divorce. Guy had it in his garage and was selling everything in it. I did end up buying some green from him at dirt price but was too late on machine by time I got there.
Here's your chance...a Probatino is selling on ebay for only $10,500. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Probat-coffee- ... SwJiJbJahF

But it still can't do what a Roest is designed to do.

The sightglass and controls actually face the operator...wow!
"straightforward" operation...translation: manual roasting only. No profiling.
It has a digital thermometer and clock...whoa!
It mixes the beans while roasting...Stop!
It has airflow...No!
You can actually adjust the heat...now we're getting somewhere.
"proven burner technology". Translation: nothing new here.
It separates the chaff.

All that and a Probatino nameplate for only $14,000 new and you can roast two pounds of coffee and not have a record of what you roasted other than a pencil and paper.

But Houston, we have a problem: Green suppliers typically send samples in 2-300g batches. What are you going to do with a Probatino and 200g of coffee?

The Roest:
Automatic or manual roasting
100% electric powered
WiFi for easy monitoring
Built-in chaff separator
Trier for manual roasting
Back-to-back roasting capacity
Bean cooler with separated ventilation
Connection for ventilation hose
Easy to clean
100 grams capacity (max 120g)

Design profiles easy in your web browser
Download up to 5 profiles directly from the machine
Store unlimited number of profiles in your web portal

There are 3 main types of profiles you can create:
Environmental Temperature (ET) Profiles
Bean Temperature (BT) profiles
Power (PWR) Profiles

Additional profile settings
FAN power for the main chamber fan
RPM for the mechanical agitation of the coffee beans

Manual override, with ROEST you are in control!
Logging is always running in the background when Wi-Fi connected
Live view w/ commenting and reference Bean Temperature (BT) curves
Chaff indicator telling you when it's time to empty the chaff
Automatic profiles based on Bean Temperature

With a Roest, you'll be able to do 2-3 roasts of a sample and get a much better ideal of what that coffee is all about.

And I can buy 2 for the price of a used Probatino.

And if I had the opportunity to buy a Roest for $5K or a NEW Probatino for $6K, I would still get the Roest. I don't need a 2# manual roaster. I need one that can qualify samples and develop roast profiles using the least amount of coffee.

ira
Team HB

#63: Post by ira »

And I can buy 2 for the price of a used Probatino.
And if I''d paid $6000 for a Probatino and decided I didn't like it I could likely sell it at a profit, not so much at 10,500. Not really looking for a 100 gram roaster, though I guess if the automation is good enough and It can do 4 or 5 roasts back to back it might be the right choice.

Ira

tossik

#64: Post by tossik replying to ira »

Well said :)

I guess there's a buyer for everything. Best of luck to them.

luca
Team HB

#65: Post by luca »

Almico wrote:I'm 00047.
Hi Alan,

Did you end up getting this? Can you share any thoughts on it? Sorry if I've missed the post!

Cheers,
Luca
LMWDP #034 | 2011: Q Exam, WBrC #3, Aus Cup Tasting #1 | Insta: @lucacoffeenotes

Almico (original poster)

#66: Post by Almico (original poster) »

I did not get it...yet.

As much as I like roasting coffee, and playing around for half a day with a 100g sample roaster dialing in a coffee sounds like fun, I just don't see myself getting around to it enough to justify the expense. I'm a one-man-show coffee roaster. My time is tight and I would have to use it on my days off. So in effect, I would haven't any days off then.

But I'm looking at a second location for another bar as well as a spot to move the roasting operation. That would mean more employees and it just might free me up to have an official coffee lab.