RoastLogger - help change range of ROR scale

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
jb-0101

#1: Post by jb-0101 »

Hey all,

Anyone out there using RoastLogger know if you can change the range of the ROR scale?

At the moment the range is from -20 up to 100, but seen as my ROR's are never exceed 0 and 25-30, and the majority of the time my ROR is between 8 and 15, the range is just too big.

I'd love to change it to -5 to 60, which would plot the graph nice and big underneath my roast profile.

Cheers

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by samuellaw178 »

I'm using RoastLogger too and am wondering the same thing. Fiddle around for 30 mins and can't seem to be able to change that. May be it's not adjustable at this stage...

espressojr
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by espressojr »

been meaning to post the same question, thanks. I hope someone is listening as I have searched all over, looking how to change it.

GreenBean

#4: Post by GreenBean »

Hi Guys, The RoastLogger RoR scale is not user adjustable at the moment. I chose the scale to keep the RoR curve below (out of the way of) the temperature curves as that is what I prefer. As the three of you disagree with me :oops: I will add this to my list of things to consider for a future update.

In the meantime, if you want to see the precise value at a particular point, hover the mouse over the RoR curve (or any other curve) this will result in the display of a tooltip with the curve name, elapsed time and value.

jb-0101 (original poster)

#5: Post by jb-0101 (original poster) »

Hey GreenBean,

For me it's not that I think it would be better to have the RoR curve interfering with the temp curve, I agree with you on that actually. I just think it would be helpful to have more resolution in the RoR graph range, so that variations in the RoR curve are easier to see.

Maybe even if the scale was just changed so that the bottom value on RoR was -5.
Or it could always be made adjustable, whatever you want to do I guess! I've just started using it, changing from the coffeesnobs.com.au software, and it's a big improvement - so thanks!

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by samuellaw178 »

Hey Tom,

First of all, thanks for creating and sharing your software freely! And it's so cool to have you here listening to us! I was using coffeesnobs software initially like James and I much prefer your Roastlogger. Lots more useful features (like the Scott Rao % and shaded area for different phase) and still very easy to use.

I agree about not having the ROR curve bumping into the BT curve, but I would love to enlarge the resolution by a little. If it can be user-adjustable then would be perfect! :D

While we're at that, I'm wondering if it's possible to add an auto-name feature for saving the file? For example, when I want to save my screenshot, can the software auto-rename the savefile as "2015-03-18- xxxxxx", where the xxxx is what the user inputs(bean name etc), instead of typing in the date every time. I find that helps a lot with organizing the profiles and for retrieving later on.

espressojr
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by espressojr »

GreenBean wrote: I will add this to my list of things to consider for a future update.
thanks! I appreciate all your effort, Tom!
jim

GreenBean

#8: Post by GreenBean »

Thank you for your kind words guys. I will add the functionality to allow the RoR axis maximum and minimum values to be adjusted but will keep the current values as the defaults as I think they provide the best compromise for most users.
samuellaw178 wrote:...While we're at that, I'm wondering if it's possible to add an auto-name feature for saving the file? ...
This is certainly possible and is done at the moment when saving the log. In this case it suggests the left chart title as the file name. Whilst you can save an image of every chart produced if you wish, I do not think this is necessary or a good idea. All you need to do is save all your roast logs. You may not be aware that you can recreate any chart simply by loading the relevant log files. In this way you can not only recreate any chart but you can compare any two roasts by loading one as the current roast and one as the template. This is a good way to improve your roasts. When you cup your coffee if you find it is better or worse than a previous roast you can easily load the two roast profiles and see what was changed.

jb-0101 (original poster)

#9: Post by jb-0101 (original poster) »

Legend - thanks Tom.

BTW - seriously happy with the Rao roast development ratio feature, that is seriously cool!

RedMan

#10: Post by RedMan »

samuellaw178 wrote:First of all, thanks for creating and sharing your software freely!
a big +1, and great that you also take suggestions into consideration and give feedback here.

Don't know if I'm bringing up old issues already addressed but I also have a couple of questions/suggestions.
About the roast development feature, very handy to have but one thing I've noticed is that when reloading a roast log (or as template)
the development ratio percentage is not shown. It only shows during a roast, unless there's a setting I've missed.
Is it not stored in logfiles or is it just that it isn't shown in the chart for old logs?

One can of course easily calculate this percentage based on the 1c and end times, I made a ps-script to do this for me when I need to,
but if possible it would be great to have the number show instantly in the chart when reloading old roast logs/templates.

And about loading roast logs and templates, are there keyboard shortcuts to use for accessing these features directly instead
of having to move the mouse to the menus? I've tried different key-combinations and searched the help-files but didn't find any.
If not, is that something you could consider for a future update? (Or maybe alt+f or similar to access the file menu?).