Roasting Mexico Unión Juárez Alfred Klein Jade Centennial Crown Jewel

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert

#1: Post by Chert »

You see the flavors touted from the cupping table. A number of us have the bean and we may discuss what we get from the roast.

With the distro I sent out, I included a smidge of this roast:

This roast was intended as the light cupping roast, dropped as soon as grassy grainy notes were gone from the trier.

The taste on an espresso shot today is complex, salty and not in a good way. But I think further roasting does offer promise to sweeten up the complexity and hopefully have some clarity of cedar and raisin.

I'm interested in learning from others roasting this bean.
LMWDP #198

SAS
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by SAS »

Chert sent me a sample of his roast. I didn't like it, it was too acidic for my tastes. So I decided to roast darker.
Today, four days post roast, I like what I tasted from w V60 pourover. The mouth-feel was like Bailey Irish Creme, without it sticking to the inside of my mouth. It had a good balance between the sweetness and acidity. I tasted an unidentifiable melange of fruit flavors that came out stronger as the cup cooled. I'm happy with the effort.

I think the next roast will be faster and hotter and drop 30 seconds sooner. We will see.

Thank you Chert for the bean distro.
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

SAS
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by SAS »

UPDATE:
This morning, the cup preparedusing a V60 pourover is expressing a melange of floral notes.
As the cup cooled toasted hazelnut became predominant.
A different mouth feel, thinner, more like nonfat chocolate milk in those pint cartons.
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

Chert (original poster)

#4: Post by Chert (original poster) »

SAS wrote:
Thank you Chert for the bean distro.
I am glad I did.

Look at those beans, the color is a little less yellow and more toward the green-blue, jade end of green and a bit elongated. And they roast up elongated. Great prep, too.

The Full City roast I am enjoying from yesterday is quite better than the city cupping roast I sent you. When I get one I really think tastes great, I'll post up a profile.
LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#5: Post by Chert (original poster) »

I am drinking a city++ roast V60 from April 23. The aroma evoked a cedar forest and the flavor is in that direction. Of other notes in the image above and drinking this cup, cranberry and nougat (on the finish) also resonate. That City ++ profile is the one I will hone.
LMWDP #198