Roasting coffee on a boat - Page 6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
EbenBruyns (original poster)

#51: Post by EbenBruyns (original poster) »

truemagellen wrote:This is the nitrogen flushing system, although they state 2-3 months many users can extend almost ideal coffee flavor to 6 months or more with this system. Particularly medium to dark roasts that hold flavor a bit better.

http://www.coffeefreshness.com/
While interesting it seems to contain electronics, doesn't work well on a boat. Also we don't use electricity (don't have a fridge either) so that's another Mark against it. Might be practical for some but unfortunately not in our case, we're a bit too backwards for that.

Jonk

#52: Post by Jonk »

Another aspect is that the type of bean and especially style of roast will affect the time post-roast before the coffee starts to taste good.. Sometimes it's best more or less straight from the roaster, while for example extremely light roasts seem to need a few weeks. Best to plan ahead in any case.

I doubt nitrogen flushing can compete with fresh roasted coffee, but I'm curious what you all think about storing green beans. I usually leave the beans I buy in the packaging they came in - everything from paper, plastic, tin-foil, nylon nets and burlap. The plastic bags seem to preserve moisture and flavour best but also lead to a (not really unpleasant) fermented smell. So far I've never encountered mold but the fear of it keeps me from repackaging everything into non-permeable containers.

MNate

#53: Post by MNate »

EbenBruyns wrote:What's the actual length of the arms? There's a radius there and I need to figure out if I can place it in a spot where it can raise high enough but get past on its way down. Very tight tolerance and I don't want to put that strain on my saloon table since it's only held on by 2 pins.
I like my Robot a lot.

The recommended max downward force on the Robot is supposed to equate to 37 pounds on a bathroom scale, according to the maker, if that gives you any sense of if your table would work.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#54: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

EbenBruyns wrote:What's the actual length of the arms? There's a radius there and I need to figure out if I can place it in a spot where it can raise high enough but get past on its way down. Very tight tolerance and I don't want to put that strain on my saloon table since it's only held on by 2 pins.
From the pivot an arm extends out about 241 mm

chang00

#55: Post by chang00 »

I posted this basic roasting method a few years ago. It is as simple and space efficient as it gets. Coffee beans endure long voyages at sea from Africa to the US in burlaps, although higher end coffee are in GrainPro bags which is mostly polyethylene plastic.

Charcoal Roasting