Roasting coffee on a boat - Page 5

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
truemagellen

#41: Post by truemagellen »

Instead of roasting. Buy a nitrogen flushing storage system.

But...based on your posts you are looking for a hobby at sea.

I believe where you will be frustrated is with the flair. Just too finicky to be assembling in a bobbing boat. Robot is probably a better fit.

EbenBruyns (original poster)

#42: Post by EbenBruyns (original poster) replying to truemagellen »

I'm not looking for a hobby at sea. I'm looking to add good coffee back into my life. We spend the majority of our time at anchor. There's no way I'm brewing let alone roasting coffee while at sea. The boat is our home. We are how every spending a lot of our time away from areas where getting fresh beans is convenient and paying to get beans delivered will become more expensive than the beans.

I'm starting to consider the robot, I haven't quite managed to work out if it truly is a better coffee maker than the flair. Both seems to have its following and finding a direct unbiased comparison seems to be a challenge.

For those with a robot, how long are the arms (got to figure out if I even have the space to operate it in)?

Advertisement
truemagellen

#43: Post by truemagellen replying to EbenBruyns »

This is the nitrogen flushing system, although they state 2-3 months many users can extend almost ideal coffee flavor to 6 months or more with this system. Particularly medium to dark roasts that hold flavor a bit better.

http://www.coffeefreshness.com/

thirdcrackfourthwave

#44: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

EbenBruyns wrote:
I'm starting to consider the robot, I haven't quite managed to work out if it truly is a better coffee maker than the flair. Both seems to have its following and finding a direct unbiased comparison seems to be a challenge.

For those with a robot, how long are the arms (got to figure out if I even have the space to operate it in)?
Fully raised, arms to base--about 19 inches. At widest possible extension--'wingspan' of about 18 1/4 inches.

As far as comparison--It seems like the coffee would be about the same but reports seem to indicate Robot has fewer parts and is therefore easier to prep and clean up. I know Hoffman has reviewed a robot has he reviewed a Flair?

drgary
Team HB

#45: Post by drgary »

I have reviewed the original Flair and the Flair Signature Pro on Home-Barista. There is now a later version of the Signature Pro. I have also reviewed the Cafelat Robot. Please feel free to read my reviews. Other Team HB members participated.

Cafelat Robot Review

Flair Signature PRO Review

Flair Espresso Maker Review
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

TenLayers
Supporter ♡

#46: Post by TenLayers »

Or the new and untested 9Barista.
https://9barista.com/

drgary
Team HB

#47: Post by drgary replying to TenLayers »

Briefly reading that description, the 9barista defaults at a fixed temperature and pressure. With a pourover lever you can fine-tune your shot.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement

#48: Post by EbenBruyns (original poster) »

TenLayers wrote:Or the new and untested 9Barista.
https://9barista.com/
I'm dubious. Will wait until the reviews come in. Seems like a supercharged moka pot. Not a fan of transferring espresso from one vessel to another, seems to destroy the crema.

#49: Post by EbenBruyns (original poster) »

thirdcrackfourthwave wrote:Fully raised, arms to base--about 19 inches. At widest possible extension--'wingspan' of about 18 1/4 inches.

As far as comparison--It seems like the coffee would be about the same but reports seem to indicate Robot has fewer parts and is therefore easier to prep and clean up. I know Hoffman has reviewed a robot has he reviewed a Flair?
What's the actual length of the arms? There's a radius there and I need to figure out if I can place it in a spot where it can raise high enough but get past on its way down. Very tight tolerance and I don't want to put that strain on my saloon table since it's only held on by 2 pins.

#50: Post by EbenBruyns (original poster) »

truemagellen wrote:This is the nitrogen flushing system, although they state 2-3 months many users can extend almost ideal coffee flavor to 6 months or more with this system. Particularly medium to dark roasts that hold flavor a bit better.

http://www.coffeefreshness.com/
Seems interesting, expensive. But how well does it actually work. Storage will be an issue and then getting co2 refills might be a challenge... will investigate this further to assess viability.