Roasting coffee on a boat - Page 4

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
EbenBruyns (original poster)

#31: Post by EbenBruyns (original poster) »

Jonk wrote:I don't think you have to worry too much with only 6oz/170g of beans. Less of a smoke and fire hazard - as long as you tend to the roaster I think the risk is quite low really.
This seems like another reason the hive would be a good roaster in this case!

How much weight is lost post roast? I've got to figure out how much beans to store and how much beer or other treats to sacrifice...

For the most part I only drink one double shot a day on the rare occasion two. Possibly the odd coffee for a guest here and there. It seems like I'd need somewhere between 4.5 to 6 kg's worth of roasted beans.

Another question is does the volume change post roast? I'm familiar with how much volume 1kg of beans take if they are roasted, so I could estimate storage requirements...

MattS

#32: Post by MattS »

EbenBruyns wrote:How much weight is lost post roast?
Another question is does the volume change post roast?
In my experience, I usually lose between 13-17% of mass post-roast. It could be more if you like charcoal-dark roasts. On the flip side, the beans themselves expand upon roasting, so the volume gets bigger. I don't know what the percentages there are (some look like they almost double in size to me), but if you already have an idea of how much volume a given mass of roasted beans takes, at least you can reverse-calculate it from your anticipated loss in bean mass.

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by yakster »

I've heard that beans typically double in size when roasting.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Jasper_8137

#34: Post by Jasper_8137 »

What about using a Whirley-pop? I've never used one myself but would likely produce decent roasts over your lp stove.

https://legacy.sweetmarias.com/library/stovepopmethod/

#35: Post by EbenBruyns (original poster) replying to Jasper_8137 »

I looked at that option too, I like the looks and size of the hive better, it's probably going to be the route I'll take unless someone has got a very good reason not too. If the less smoke claim is true, then it's definitely a winner. How ever it would appear that I've got a steep learning cliff ahead of myself there...

Marcelnl

#36: Post by Marcelnl »

just try burn a roast, underdo or bake the next and stay in the middle for the next few roasts and work your way towards a great result. Really it's not that difficult to get good results!
Try standardize some parameters like stove setting and height from flame and use a stopwatch to time events from start of roast and to end your roast
x seconds after First Crack (depends on desired roast level and bean). Aim for a 7 or so minute period getting to First Crack and experiment...
LMWDP #483
★ Helpful

AssafL

#37: Post by AssafL »

Come to think of it: this is a great use case* for podded coffee.

Maybe someone can create a pod version of the Flair. Or Robot. Base it on one of the easier to use pods. (Some - like Nespresso are a bit finicky. )

Edit: * Great because of the convenience - and no guilt at using pods (When friends pop by: "we'd love fresh but unfortunately no good roasters for - literally - hundreds and thousands of miles").
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

Advertisement
thirdcrackfourthwave

#38: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

EbenBruyns wrote:You're joking right? Our boat is only 29 feet long. It won't fit even if nothing else goes in. Also no electricity. I'm concerned that the kaldi mini is too big...
Not joking at all, you misinterpreted. I would think a small scale commercial machine would take up too much space on a 65 foot cat.

#39: Post by EbenBruyns (original poster) replying to thirdcrackfourthwave »

Not sure I follow anymore. I realized that the first link was not the intended link. The link to the hive Cascabel was the correct one. Which I found very helpful and I'm certainly looking at acquiring that little roaster.

Now I'm confused by what I misinterpreted?

thirdcrackfourthwave

#40: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave replying to EbenBruyns »

I think a small commercial roaster is a bit much for a three car garage let alone a boat.