Roasting advice on bk-600 (BC-2)

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
ymg

#1: Post by ymg »

Hi

i got a couple of weeks ago my new bk-600 (BC-2) roasting machine, and i new to roasting but trying to stick to scott rao methods and maintenance always steady deaccelerating ROR.

while i trying to do that, the ror is indeed always declines but it's decline is to sharp ...
it's feels like the roaster is way too strong with 3 burners and i only use sample batch of 300 gr at the beginning to safe up coffee on experimenting.

the question how do i control the heat on this roaster? because it's way to strong...even at gas setting below 1!
do i open up the dumper? do i reduce air flow?

my friend suggested to remove one of the burners, he claims the roaster is way to strong and that way it's so hard to control

should i remove one burner? or do u have different advice for me?

thanks

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#2: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I don't think taking a burner off is the solution. The best way to learn is figure out the air setting that gives you the most convection. Read this postfrom Alan. Then learn to control the roaster with the gas to start. Don't make airflow changes. It may be that you need a better regulator on your machine to control the gas better.

Not sure where in Israel you can get beans for a reasonable cost but you have may learn better with slightly larger batch sizes. You can also search the forums here for others with a BC.

Most importantly even though the curves may not look as you like what do you think of the coffee taste? You can also evaluate your curves with the Artisan Analyze feature and you might be surprised that you are doing better than you think, but taste is paramount. I would also use a variety of greens.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Mbb

#3: Post by Mbb »

I have no experience with that roaster

Id start, by watching the roast video they post, and give BC a call or email

Too much heat....and a ror that declines too fast....arent the same thing

Id start by fixing airflow....keep constant
Find an air temp that runs 400-450 F, leave it, keep gas constant

You will get a declining ror automatically
Not saying youll get good roast, saying youll have things under control to start tweaking gently from there.

Constant heat, constant air.....runs itself stable usually

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Check out this thread especially this post and the end of this post which may help you with your roaster. Make sure that your BT probe is low enough to be in the beans for a 300 gram roast.

BC-600 roaster review
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

ymg (original poster)

#5: Post by ymg (original poster) »

hi

thanks for your input.

please see attached artisan graph , i marked the area that i think need to be repaired.

as you see, after the turning point the ROR is crashing way too fast.
question is, how to i extend the ROR to decline slower? i tried several methods but yet managed to achieve it....

thanks

Dokkie

#6: Post by Dokkie »

Try charging at a lower temperature, say 180-190, the ror peak will be lower and not crash as fast.

ymg (original poster)

#7: Post by ymg (original poster) »

i already tried that didnt help to match.
should i lower the gas when charging the beans?

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#8: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Can you change the range for ROR to a max of 40 and repost this. The Getting Started Guide to Artisan link is in my signature. There is a section on printing and saving. You can save in a variety of ways to post. It would also be good to read the section on events and see how to show your gas changes on the graph. This will help people here advise you.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Mbb

#9: Post by Mbb »

ymg wrote:i already tried that didnt help to match.
should i lower the gas when charging the beans?
Many kill the gas completely until it bottoms out at turning point......

Jb3

#10: Post by Jb3 »

Turning off the gas and then back on at the 1:00 mark gets rid of that steep ROR. I've notice with my graphs and others here on the forum, that you can tell who does this sort of "soak" by the steep ROR at the beginning of the roast.