Roast and Learn Together - Terms and Definitions - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Boldjava (original poster)

#21: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

Boldjava wrote:Pls make suggestions and definitions. ...
Farm's list with suggested changes incorporated into master list at top of thread, 1st post.

B|Java
-----
LMWDP #339

Andy

#22: Post by Andy »

I'd like to suggest a complete list of the stages of a roast, using the correct terms -- or the terms generally used in this forum, at least. They might be listed as subheadings under Roast Stages, or something, perhaps. We already have Warming Stage, Drying Stage and Ramp Stage, but some use the term Development Stage as well. What is that, exactly? And are there others?

Andy

Boldjava (original poster)

#23: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

Andy wrote:I'd like to suggest a complete list of the stages of a roast, using the correct terms -- or the terms generally used in this forum, at least. They might be listed as subheadings under Roast Stages, or something, perhaps. We already have Warming Stage, Drying Stage and Ramp Stage...

Andy
I am going to let other arm wrestle this one out. I don't use the terms as a Gene Cafe roaster. I too have seen them but I believe the definitions might be a bit arbitrary depending on who writes them. I am not aware of definitive, hard-boundaries on this but wish to sit back and let others air out their understandings.

B|Java
-----
LMWDP #339

SAS
Supporter ❤

#24: Post by SAS »

I just saw a new term with which I am not familiar: ETBTa.
Could someone please define it and say why/how it is used?
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.

tamarian

#25: Post by tamarian replying to SAS »

This is an Artisan software term for the heat energy (subtracting the area under BT curver from the area under the ET curve):
Volume change/roast degree/tastiness

rgrosz

#26: Post by rgrosz »

Andy wrote:We already have Warming Stage, Drying Stage and Ramp Stage, but some use the term Development Stage as well. What is that, exactly? And are there others?

Andy
Based on my reading, Development Stage is the period after the start of first crack.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

sonnyhad

#27: Post by sonnyhad »

Thanks guys for putting this together, I missed it and was asking for some definitions! Awesome!
LMWDP 437

TomC
Team HB

#28: Post by TomC »

We should really be "sticky'ing" more threads in the roasting section.....
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Dregs

#29: Post by Dregs »

I have been catching up on posts dealing with profiling. The use of 1C (vs FC) to designate first crack and 2C (vs SC) for second crack is becoming standard and is a welcome clarification. It doesn't go quite far enough, however, to avoid confusion when writing about profiles. I have read several times now statements such as "I ended the roast 90 seconds after 1C". Does that mean 90 seconds after the start or the end of 1C? The answer isn't always obvious from the context.

May I suggest a subset of the 1C terminology to include 1Cs (1C start) and 1Ce (1C end) to be used, when helpful, to clarify a particular point in the roast profile.

TomC
Team HB

#30: Post by TomC »

A few of us have been using 1Ce for signifying the end of 1C before. It's sorta self explanatory.

But to your previous question: referring to something like "ended 90sec after 1C simply means they ended it 90 seconds after the start of 1C. Many, if not most coffees, if not throttled back on, would be buried in 2C or beyond if you ran 90 seconds after the end of 1C.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/