Roast and Learn Together - September 2015 - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Andy

#11: Post by Andy »

This morning I brewed the two roasts I posted yesterday; Melitta pourover, 1:20. I could not smell or taste a difference between them. My wife, who tasted blind, said the flavors were identical to her as well, but #2 had a longer finish. Dominant fragrance is ripe bing cherry, with some dutch cocoa and cinnamon. Aroma and flavor is similar but muted. Body is pretty thin. There are also grainy notes, some of which, along with thin mouthfeel, may be because of the short rest -- but they are probably also baked. I will cup again in a couple of days.

Before posting this, I decided to cup again; this time using standard cupping protocol (or my home-grown version of it, at least). Results are similar, except #1 seems to have more intense aroma at the break and slightly more body. I will roast again today and attempt, again, for a less kinky curve.

billsey

#12: Post by billsey »

Pulled a couple of so so shots yesterday, and then was blown away today. Lots of depth to the flavors with both floral and nutty flavors, with something a little funky in the background.

Advertisement
leftism

#13: Post by leftism »

I had the luck to buy 3lbs of this coffee while I was visiting my brother in the US recently.
Roasted 340gr on my Huky. I usually roast for espresso and my drop temp is around 214-220C. This roast I dropped a little bit earlier as I was worried that I would loose the fruity flavors of this coffee.

Here's the profile ( I failed to avoid the flick )

Will let it rest one more day before trying it out.

leftism

#14: Post by leftism »

I made two shots with the coffee today, it is very candied and some choco flavour with nice body. But there are still some off flavours so I will let it rest for a couple of more days. Can't wait to try it again :)

billsey

#15: Post by billsey »

On my last roast the funky flavor seems to be most prevalent when partially cooled, it's not as noticeable when first tasting hot or when cooled. A bit of milk seems to offset it also.

jddartdds

#16: Post by jddartdds »

Our last couple roasts with this coffee finally produced (1) good cupping results and (2) a very nice pour-over coffee several days later. Like other posters, I noted quick roasts dropped too early produced undesirable bright/acid nuances or off-flavors. I tweaked with drying times, changes of heat applications and charge temps attempting to coax a palatable light roast from the coffee. We finally let the coffee go to the beginnings of 2C and the results are excellent. Refined chocolate/nut tones as reflects a near-espresso roast. Bot dry and wet fragrances are excellent with no detectable "fingernail polish remover" noted. Great learning experience for us, thanks for the opportunity to compare and contrast roasting styles with others.

ET (RED) curve above is MET, not ET (probe installed in chute screw).

nicholasnumbers

#17: Post by nicholasnumbers »

jddartdds wrote:Our last couple roasts with this coffee finally produced (1) good cupping results and (2) a very nice pour-over coffee several days later. Like other posters, I noted quick roasts dropped too early produced undesirable bright/acid nuances or off-flavors. I tweaked with drying times, changes of heat applications and charge temps attempting to coax a palatable light roast from the coffee. We finally let the coffee go to the beginnings of 2C and the results are excellent. Refined chocolate/nut tones as reflects a near-espresso roast. Bot dry and wet fragrances are excellent with no detectable "fingernail polish remover" noted. Great learning experience for us, thanks for the opportunity to compare and contrast roasting styles with others.
<image>

ET (RED) curve above is MET, not ET (probe installed in chute screw).
I'm surprised to see you had good results with the MET creeping up to 540F on a natural coffee. I just started roasting on a Quest M3 and haven't had the best of results with naturals yet. Last batch my MET pushed 525 and I can detect a slight charred flavor even though the beans are visibly not tipped or blackened. Going to take a cue from Tom C. and others here and paint my drum to aid in thermal retention, and on the next few go rounds keep the MET at 475ish as per Jim Schulmans advice.

Sorry this was off topic of the post; but I am roasting and learning. Hope to get in on October's!

Nick

Advertisement
JK

#18: Post by JK »

I have not tasted it yet but here's my Elida Natural from Klatch graph

-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

billsey

#19: Post by billsey »

My second roast I went a little faster than the first, somewhere close to 16 minutes total in the Behmor to about full city. One day of rest and it made a palatable Americano, with just a hint in the background of the funkiness from the first roast. It'll be interested to see how it progresses as it ages this time.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#20: Post by TomC (original poster) »

Octobers RLT will be a continuation of this coffee, which I'll be working on more now that I have a few other projects behind me. There was an interesting discussion about building off of airflow specifically, which will be focused on more closely in November's RLT led by Mark Spottswood [creative_nickname].

Novembers RLT will also pair into December, same coffee. The holidays are busy for all of us, and this is just easier. Plus, depending on the workload of each individual participant, sometimes 3 weeks really isn't much time to get something dialed in.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/