Roast and Learn Together - September 2014 - Page 6

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Jaxx2112

#51: Post by Jaxx2112 »

I tried guys. I really tried to like it. Overall, none of my previously roasted brews turned out great-- some were certainly drinkable, but nothing fantastic. I've resorted to cold brew as i've approached the 12 day mark. Overall while certainly a good cup of coffee- this probably won't be a go to.

While i enjoyed the earthy, low acidity nature of this cup, i just felt like it was lacking in the fruits department-- so likely i roasted the fruits out or didn't develop them well enough. On the plus side, my temperature problem *should* be fixed by now. So we'll try round in a day or so. I'll likely keep updating this post just to pressure me to record cupping notes.

UPDATE:

Cold brew is definitely drinkable on this one. Pretty tasty stuff.

_OlTimer

#52: Post by _OlTimer »

My first contribution to the roast and learn. I am finding myself in sync with the 3k roaster on larger batches, but doing a pound still seems to have me somewhat baffled. Anyway, here's my attempt at the Sumatran.

I tried to drag out the roast as others have suggested. The bean I tasted post roast had a nice black cherry flavor - I'll let the beans rest for 4-5 days and see what we have. Thanks to all who contribute and all suggestions are welcome.

Dave

Advertisement
Chert

#53: Post by Chert »

I received from Moshe three 50 grams of the September R & L bean. ( I call that an amazing surprise to get in the mail!)

He gave 3 roasts with very similar profile 3 different drop temps. Roast 3 darkest, Roast 1 lightest.

I was quite intrigued having enjoyed Velton's roast of this origin during a previous season.

Pourovers of 20 grams V60 brought out the leather and pine and peat in the darker roasts and more herbal, spice, juniper berry (?) in the lighter roasts. Also I recall thinking of cedar and on the finish of roast 2, some butterscotch.

Of each, that left enough for a shot for me and my colleague during our noon espresso tasting:

Roast 1: " Sour apple with cola, mild mouthfeel, cloudy balance, light finish", him; and me: "complex, peaty aroma, herbal spice flavors with some leather, tasty juniper berry finish."

Roast 2: " sweet with spice and chocolate, gentle mouthfeel, simple overall." and "savory rich, cherry, leather, smooth finish compared to roast 3"

Roast 3: "Bitter sweet chocolate with hints of pear and cherry, firm mouthfeel, complex joyous finish." and "Dark aroma, peat tobacco chocolate balance to dark notes, lingering Italian espresso finish."

I think the choice of bean was stellar and I enjoyed Moshe's efforts quite well. It made for a tasty departure from the central american coffees I'm enjoying of late and also compared nicely to an occasional Italian blend shot thrown in. I think other home roasters might want to share like Moshe did and have amateur tasters' feedback like this after the month's roast and learn is done.
LMWDP #198