Roast and Learn Together - June 2015 - Page 11

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#101: Post by TomC (original poster) »

NoStream wrote:I wound up updating my post (#31) over the past couple days. I still need to try my final profile as espresso.

As noted on that post, I didn't wind up terribly impressed with this coffee - nice and bright but not terribly sweet.

As also noted, it's interesting to note that this coffee can taste savory - not underdeveloped but like sundried tomato, umami, etc. - when overextracted. And that wound up confusing me and making me question whether I'd really developed it properly. Now obviously those flavors are common in Kenyas, but it's interesting to see them crop up moreso at higher extraction yields.

If you have any of the 21% dev batch remaining, try brewing it at a very low temp, 185-ish and see what you get. Kenyan's have surprising ranges of tasty when it comes to brew temp spectrum.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

NoStream

#102: Post by NoStream »

TomC wrote:If you have any of the 21% dev batch remaining, try brewing it at a very low temp, 185-ish and see what you get. Kenyan's have surprising ranges of tasty when it comes to brew temp spectrum.
I tried this yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. The coffee got sweeter, juicier, and more delicate. I've been using a Wave with this coffee to bring out as much sweetness as possible. Also, extraction yields weren't that low - in the 20-21% range, vs. ~23% for my normal Wave recipe.

I'm beginning to think that even though my 23% Waves aren't defective, the reason I prefer V60's might be that I tend to brew them at lower EY's. (I.E. it isn't entirely fair for me to compare 21% V60's with 23% Waves and then say that the V60 is more nuanced and the Wave merely sweet.)

And the 21% final roast made some really tasty espresso, some of the best I've had in a while.