Roast and Learn Together - June 2015 - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
johnny4lsu

#11: Post by johnny4lsu »

chaffshaker wrote:Order placed. I'm in and will be roasting for espresso.
Welcome chaffshaker! We look forward to your participation.

middlebuttcheek

#12: Post by middlebuttcheek »

Hey! Just joined the website and ordered my beans! Looking forward to this!

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#13: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to middlebuttcheek »

Welcome! And congrats on the butt cheek thing. :wink:
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

johnny4lsu

#14: Post by johnny4lsu »

middlebuttcheek wrote:Hey! Just joined the website and ordered my beans! Looking forward to this!
Welcome! And what Tom said :mrgreen:

NoStream

#15: Post by NoStream »

I'm excited to be participating this month, having picked up two pounds yesterday. Fresh crop Kenyas are lovely, both in the roaster and the cup.

I'll be exploring a few areas.

1) Just how aggressive can I be with the charge? Kenyas are notorious for withstanding high heat application, so I'll see how far I can push it.

2) development phase and solubility - I've been having good results cheating Rao's 20% rule with drip roasts. We'll see if that approach works for this bean.

3) how insulation affects the roast on the Quest - I've just installed insulation and run through several roasts with it and had good results. We'll see how that affects this bean. I'm pretty optimistic given that fresh Kenyas demand tons of power during first crack start's endothermia.

Cheers,

Jan

johnny4lsu

#16: Post by johnny4lsu »

.2) development phase and solubility - I've been having good results cheating Rao's 20% rule with drip roasts. We'll see if that approach works for this bean.
as in doing less than 20%? I've been doing the same and getting better results

NoStream

#17: Post by NoStream replying to johnny4lsu »

For drip, I'm liking around 15% with Colombian and Guatemalan coffees. There is a slight loss of solubility as measured with a refractometer. For espresso, I'm sticking to 20% and dropping 3-8 F hotter.

By the way, this doesn't necessarily contradict Rao's ideas since an M3 or Huky is more conductive than a 5 kg + double drum production roaster.

johnny4lsu

#18: Post by johnny4lsu replying to NoStream »

I'm doing much of the same for drip...Glad to have you on board!!!

jalpert

#19: Post by jalpert »

I roasted a batch of the April R&L Yirg today as a warm up for this Kenya.

I completely changed my approach and took it to 14% development, using a curve somewhat similar to the one Tom posted that month with a lot of momentum going into 1C. So I'm on board with you guys here - let's see how it goes with the Kenya!

JavaMD
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by JavaMD »

order placed also - the FOTR competition and discussion has renewed my interest in the RALT discussions ... hope they are as enlightening.
Steve