Roast and Learn Together - July 2015 - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Andy

#11: Post by Andy »

I did these 2 roasts yesterday morning. The profiles are more similar than I intended, so I will be surprised if I can tell them apart. I will brew tomorrow morning.

jgbnm

#12: Post by jgbnm »

I bought 10 lbs. Never roasted a Salvadorean. I like the idea of learning from others and appreciate this thread. I feel like I have a lot to learn... I roasted a pound on a TJ-067 gas roaster (haven't had it long) just now shooting for about 20% development time and about a city to city+ roast. Seemed to go ok, so will be interesting to see how it tastes. I'll probably give it a couple of days rest, then try as espresso/Americano.

In case the artisan plot is not easily legible:
362.6 charge temp
90 sec gas off
EOD just over 4 mins (missed hitting the button by 2 deg)
First Crack 386.2 at 8:18 (maybe slightly late)
Drop 10:21 and 405.7 deg just a bit after first crack was ended.
City+?
19.8% Development and 13.0% moisture loss.

The more I learn, the more I realize just how much there is to learn.

Advertisement
Boldjava

#13: Post by Boldjava »

jgbnm wrote:...
First Crack 386.2 at 8:18 (maybe slightly late)
Hey Jon, glad to see you on the boards

The time to first crack is very subjective. More than one way to roast. You will see a variety of approaches to roasting on the boards. You will see some very fast runs to first, all the way to slow and steady profiles. You will find which works best in the cup for you. Try several different runs to first (differing times to 1st crack) with the SAME bean and cup them simultaneously. That helps achieve the best cup for your tastes.
-----
LMWDP #339

jgbnm

#14: Post by jgbnm replying to Boldjava »

Yup :lol: Meant that I was working the tryer and clicked the button for first crack just a bit late. I'm making an effort to use the tryer a lot more than I was.

After 40 hrs of rest, made an americano this morning and it was quite good. Will give it another few days before thinking of making any adjustments. I have a lot of difficulty describing coffee flavors, but very nice single origin flavor - fruity, once it's cooled a bit. Nothing obviously negative yet.
The more I learn, the more I realize just how much there is to learn.

billsey

#15: Post by billsey »

I am finding with my first roast that I have to grind quite a bit finer than normal, and dose higher, to get the right flow through my espresso machine. Even finely ground it seems denser than I'm used to... With my Breville where I was dosing at 14g with previous coffees I need almost 15g to fill the portafilter. Grinding the same as the Java I roasted last, it just dumps through like I had ground for drip. I had to go something like 8-10 finer on my Vario.

I'm going to try a faster roast next time to see how that changes the flavor, then tweak for each successive roast.

NoStream

#16: Post by NoStream »

I roasted my first batch on Friday and tasted it yesterday. I was pretty thoroughly unimpressed and am open to suggestions.

I essentially sample roasted it the way I would normally roast. Cooler charge since it's not terribly dense, 20% development, drop at +20f past my typical 1Cs time. First crack was a bit late, suggesting low moisture content. (Actual 1Cs was 388, as opposed to 383 auto-marked. I care more about time at different temperatures than actual time after 1Cs.) Roast came out with a number of quakers (4 in 150 grams), a borer-damaged bean, and a fungus or rust-damaged bean.

Now, to be fair, I did have losses in MET at a couple points in ramp/MAI, simply because I wasn't paying super close attention. I'll probably try this roast with a slower middle and see if I can get a more complex or aromatic or interesting result.

Roast 1:

V60, +1 day results:
Roast may be slightly scorched (smoke-aspirin flavor), lemon, bourbon, meaty, flat (lack of acidity), decent sweetness, buttery body
With cooling, more fruit
Slight paperiness

Andy

#17: Post by Andy »

At 7 days' rest, my Chemex brew of this coffee is savory-salty rather than fruity-floral. (Profiles posted 7/14.) There is the barest hint of melon, but I probably would not have picked it out were it not for the suggestion in the Bodhi Leaf description. It does have a pleasant mouthfeel, and a level of acidity that I like. I will try for more sweetness in my next attempt -- later today if all goes according to plan.

Advertisement
Andy

#18: Post by Andy »

This profile is working best for me so far. I roasted on 7/20 to full city, about 3.75 minutes after start of 1st crack. Brewed today with Aeropress and later with Silex vac. It has a nice berry and dark chocolate flavor and aroma. There is still some of the savory saltiness that was present in my lighter roasts, but at a level that makes it an asset rather than a liability. The Aeropress brew is especially pleasant.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#19: Post by TomC (original poster) »

I think it will end up being a fine component in an espresso blend, but lacks enough character to shine as a SO, either filter brewed or espresso. Good acidity, some nice exotic chocolates, but it could stand to be sweeter. I got a sorta cranberry jelly note in the finish as it was cooling.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

billsey

#20: Post by billsey »

My first, generic, roast was disappointing enough that today I decided to do two completely different roasts, one very fast (for a Behmor) and one low and slow.

On the first I preheated the chamber to 185 in the B button then loaded 12oz and restarted (B had drifted up to 192). I fired it up in manual 100% and sped the drum up. I started to get the grassy smell between 6-7 minutes in and started 1C at 12 minutes. I killed the heat and slowed the drum, then after 30 seconds put the heat back on at 50%. First crack had pretty much petered out after another 1:30 so I switched to cooling. Beans look like a C+ or maybe FC

On the second I started with a full pound with no preheat, went to manual 75% heat with the fast drum. Started to smell the grass at about 8-9 minutes but wasn't even close to 1C when nanny mode asked for input. I bumped the time up to max and waited... Still not at 1C at 20:20 (10 seconds to auto-cool) I switched on Rosetta, but 1C started within a minute. I left the heat alone, slowed the drum and hit Rosetta again (Rosetta is great for extending your roast, since you can apparently keep launching it indefinitely). I switched to cooling at about the same point as the first roast. Beans look pretty much the same as the first roast.

The smell is quite different between the two roasts, the low and slow roast seems much sweeter. I may try some drip from each tomorrow... If neither of these work out I'll try FC+ or Vienna as a last resort.