Roast and Learn Together - January 2014 - Page 10

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
tamarian

#91: Post by tamarian »

Boldjava wrote:Have some Yemens in-bound that will need cupping.
If cupping goes well, I assume it will be the March bean and R&LT folks get priority ordering. 20 lbs for me 8)

Boldjava

#92: Post by Boldjava »

tamarian wrote:If cupping goes well, I assume it will be the March bean and R&LT folks get priority ordering...
Farmroast is managing the March and April beans and he has some excellent ideas that will make for good group learning. Stay tuned.

Yemens? Have some of 5 lots reserved pending cupping. You know where to find me.
-----
LMWDP #339

Andy

#93: Post by Andy »

Does anyone know whether there is a Klatch free ground shipping code for this month?

rgrosz

#94: Post by rgrosz »

boar_d_laze wrote:Your analysis seems good. Please allow me to add a skosh.

Looks like you're going too slow during the Drying phase. Try to hit 300F at around 6:00 instead of 6:45. The aroma at 285F will be "baking bread and good rum," signaling a major transition in Drying. Call 300F EOD, and pour on the coal until about 30 sec before 1stCs (365F, anticipating a 380F, 9:00 - 9:30 1stCs), then take it through Development as slowly as you can without stalling.

Even with my roaster's agility, the last part is tricky. Sometime during rolling 1st you'll lose exothermic momentum and what looked like too much power at 1stCs will look like not enough at 1stCe.

BDL
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried to use these ideas in my roasts this weekend. Based on my lower thermocouple readings, I have changed artisan to use 280F for EOD. For my roast today, I did something I have NEVER done before. I actually turned the heat OFF on my Hottop for the final 2.5 minutes of the roast. This was the only way I could get a REALLY slow development.
LMWDP #556
Life is too short to drink bad wine - or bad coffee

rgrosz

#95: Post by rgrosz »

Roaster - Hottop B-2K with variac

ROAST #4
I targeted a drop at 3:30 after start of first crack, probably Full City +
Charge weight 182g
Charge temp ET 300 F  
Turn point      :59 - 165 F
First crack    8:26 - 359 F
Drop          11:56 - 393 F
Yield         155g
Weight loss   14.8%
Quakers - none
NOTE - my thermocouples read 30 degrees lower than most others. As noted in this post at Sweet Maria's, I have virtually identical readings as Barrie. We both have identical Omega probes installed in the same location on our Hottops.
LMWDP #556

rgrosz

#96: Post by rgrosz »

Andy wrote:Does anyone know whether there is a Klatch free ground shipping code for this month?
Not yet - maybe next weekend??
LMWDP #556

rgrosz

#97: Post by rgrosz »

Roaster - Hottop B-2K with variac

ROAST #3
I targeted a drop at 3:00 after start of first crack, probably Full City +
Charge weight 182g
Charge temp ET 300 F  
Turn point     1:06 - 164 F
First crack    8:42 - 358 F
Drop          11:36 - 395 F
Yield         157g
Weight loss   13.7%
Quakers - ten
NOTE - my thermocouples read 30 degrees lower than most others. As noted in this post at Sweet Maria's, I have virtually identical readings as Barrie. We both have identical Omega probes installed in the same location on our Hottops.
LMWDP #556

rgrosz

#98: Post by rgrosz »

I did two pour-overs this morning to taste my roast #3 versus #4. The clear winner was #4. The extra 30 seconds after 1C for roast #4 gave better results than the slightly higher drop temp for roast #3.

Roast #3 still had that "under-developed" taste, and was slightly bitter. Afterwards, I pulled a double espresso of roast #4. This will improve with a few days rest, but was quite nice. After lunch, I brewed up a Yama vac pot of roast #4 - this coffee is a keeper. Lots more to like than I detected from the pour-over this morning.
LMWDP #556

boar_d_laze (original poster)

#99: Post by boar_d_laze (original poster) »

rgrosz wrote:Afterwards, I pulled a double espresso of roast #4. This will improve with a few days rest, but was quite nice. After lunch, I brewed up a Yama vac pot of roast #4 - this coffee is a keeper. Lots more to like than I detected from the pour-over this morning.
Our espresso results (using slow-finish C+/FC beans from the last roast I posted) were extremely good. Linda, especially, was blown away by her long black with cream and sugar. I can't wait to try these beans in our new espresso grinder.

We still haven't run Red Honey in the siphon. We've got just enough for one more roast, and will make damn sure to try it that way.

I'm really glad that:
  • You got good results;
  • That you figured out a new technique for your HT; and selfishly,
  • My advice turned out to be helpful.
Thanks,
BDL
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

rgrosz

#100: Post by rgrosz »

Andy wrote:Does anyone know whether there is a Klatch free ground shipping code for this month?
Klatch free shipping this weekend. Use discount code FS1 - Thanks, BoldJava!
LMWDP #556