(Edited 10.22.13: Our November effort in a Guat Huehue. Details are here - Roasting and Learning - November
). Please join us.
Farm and TomC have both expressed interest in a collaborative roasting/learning. Let's see if the idea can get some traction. The concepts are simple:
(1) Buy or offer the same green. Each take the green around the block, kick the tires, and share our learnings. We do that too infrequently. See what we can learn about the origin, the green itself, roasting profiles, best profile for varying preparation/presentations, etc.
(2) Emphasis is on mutual
(3) Improve our own artisanship.
(4) Member driven. Any individual can offer a suggestion, a bean, an idea. Doesn't need to be on a moderator's shoulder to drive.
(5) Roasts can be swapped but not
required for participation.
(6) If you say, "I'm in," the expectation is to provide some notes from your cuppings, evaluations, your learnings.
(7) Novices and beginners are welcome. This is not an experience only for more advanced roasters. Don't be intimidated -- we will share responsibility to mentor and teach, not scold and criticize.
Suggested format would be to grab a bean from Sweetmarias or the Shrub. Both offer such stellar coffees. That provides the additional benefit of a base or beginning point. Just don't lean on their notes too heavily to the point you aren't trusting your own palate.
Tom is reasonable with his scores, though his notes are often too loaded with descriptors that few with whom I have cupped have found. I believe he has a more refined palate and much greater experience than do I which accounts for that and when I purchase, I know what I am getting.
Jump in here -- share your ideas. If a bulk purchase makes this more reasonably priced, I can do a distribution of SM's or Shrub's beans. Have no need to do that but can assess time involvement and see if that works. If another individual wants to offer that, please do. I would be glad to coach off-line on the logistics/time involved.