Roast and Learn Together - December 2018

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
crunchybean

#1: Post by crunchybean »

Hello to one and all. Welcome to the December 2018 R & L Thread!

Bean: Ethiopia Agaro Biftu Gudina Coop https://www.sweetmarias.com/ethiopia-ag ... -2018.html

Detail: 89.5, Wet Process, Heirloom Varieties, 15+ Screen

Tasting Notes (from SM): notes of peaches, natural dried apricots, sarsaparilla and cola sodas, marmalade, and a subtle floral aroma. City to Full City. good for espresso

I chose, well we chose this coffee. But I liked it because unlike the other Ethiopians I have been roasting, the peach and dried apricots seemed much different and nicer to me than just more blueberries. I know, I know, so spoiled are we that they should churn us into butter and put us in the coffee. Anyways I will be trying to roast this coffee with the goal of trying to push the TDS as high as I can go with getting the notes above. I prefer to roast to a FC, FC+ but for this coffee I will really try to get a well developed City-City+ profile. And I will be reporting my good cuppings (and maybe some bad ones) along with the complimentary profile. I struggle with Wet Processed coffee's so this should be a very informative experience for me, and I hope it is for you too. Happy Roasting and looking forward to great cups, Cheers!

Mggray87

#2: Post by Mggray87 »

I dont roast. But I'm following you guys.... I been sticking to the Josuma malabar gold and I just stuck with it. But always dabbled in idea of learning to roast.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#3: Post by baldheadracing »

I'll definitely be up for the next one. This December is just too hectic for me.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

dabrjn

#4: Post by dabrjn »

Drat. I wish I could be a part of this R&LT, but I just roasted 5 lbs of this coffee last week. I guess I'll have to be a voyeur and watch everyone's progress. I'm an espresso drinker so I usually roast 10 seconds into 2nd crack and drop at 435-436ish°F. For some reason, I decided to experiment with a lighter roast and dropped these roasts earlier at 422°F. I'm terrible at cupping so I won't share any tasting notes other than I liked it - not very useful for you all.

david

Chert

#5: Post by Chert »

Cheers!

I'm in because a coffee I last had with notes of peach was really good. It was a Kenyan IIRC. So with this coffee we can expect slight floral aroma, fruit note direction peach or dried apricot (what does that mean,"dried" to the nose/taste, sweeter than fresh apricot?) with some sweet spice (is that what sarsaparilla and cola give? - I notice neither are on the most recent SCA flavor wheel) and marmalade (again, not on that wheel - what is that sour orange?).

I hope my roaster curves are shareable - lately I have a huge interference issue that makes artisan still useful to me, but not pretty. We'll see. Looking forward to that package from California!
LMWDP #198

crunchybean (original poster)

#6: Post by crunchybean (original poster) »

Chert wrote:Cheers!

I'm in because a coffee I last had with notes of peach was really good. It was a Kenyan IIRC. So with this coffee we can expect slight floral aroma, fruit note direction peach or dried apricot (what does that mean,"dried" to the nose/taste, sweeter than fresh apricot?) with some sweet spice (is that what sarsaparilla and cola give? - I notice neither are on the most recent SCA flavor wheel) and marmalade (again, not on that wheel - what is that sour orange?).
I'm actually going to head to the big store that supposively sells wal stuff and pick up a pack of Sasparilla pop. I bet you can get your hands on some dried apricot. As weird as it sounds if I have a hard time tasting something just by eating it (for me it was herbs and spices, especially sage) I ground it or grated it finely and steeped it in hot water to make a tea.
And that helped me smell and taste it. Looks like your grocery list is going to get a little exotic :wink:

#7: Post by crunchybean (original poster) »

Mggray87 wrote:I dont roast. But I'm following you guys.... I been sticking to the Josuma malabar gold and I just stuck with it. But always dabbled in idea of learning to roast.
Well that's comforting! Welcome hopefully we can convince you that you'll save money in the long run (but we all know that's not true) or that it's easy once you get the hang of it (also not true). But no one can say they didn't have a big a** grin on their face the first time they tried one of their roasts and it was the best coffee they have ever tried. And grown manly men can like something that have 'hints of' or say the word "effervescent" without needing lacy stockings and that certain shade of masquera. Whatever floats your boat. Welcome and enjoy.

@dabrjin, I'm still hoping more people might get on board for the Sumatran peaberry I was talking about in the thread asking what people want to do for a R & L Anybody interested in a Roast & Learn? . A little more democratic thang than the usual commands from The Lords of the Bean. I wanted to give the opportunity for us to discuss potential beans for future RL's and with (somewhat, I know the irony) more time for people to organize their orders and have an opinion/say in the matter.

chuckcoffee

#8: Post by chuckcoffee »

OK, I'm in. Placed an order for 5 lbs. This would be new for me. What are the general guidelines and tips and tricks for the R&L? I saw the note on getting samples of what SM has noted.
Ethiopia Agaro Biftu Gudina Coop
Biftu Gudina has all the markers of a lovely Western Ethiopia coffee, notes of peaches, natural dried apricots, sarsaparilla and cola sodas, marmalade, and a subtle floral aroma. City to Full City. good for espresso

#9: Post by crunchybean (original poster) »

Hmm, tips and tricks...if people want to share theirs that would be amazing. For me I've gotten some of my best coffee's of an Ethiopian WP, was having a good steady heat (not super fast) up to my browning temperature where I turned down the heat where I spent a lot of time (1/3rd total time) in the tan to the light brown area and then I averaged the 'dry' speed and the 'tan to light brown' for a relatively fast finish, splitting the three segemnts into 1/3 total roast time.

*i can't open the image right. Now I'll post the profile tomorrow

Chert

#10: Post by Chert »

chuckcoffee wrote:OK, I'm in. Placed an order for 5 lbs. This would be new for me. What are the general guidelines and tips and tricks for the R&L? I saw the note on getting samples of what SM has noted.
-
I notice on other R&L threads, one method - as far as general guidelines goes - was to make a single entry about the roast process you are learning for. Machines and probes and heat are all different and most of us won't taste each others coffee, so in a great sense the learning and conversation is with yourself.

I intend to start one entry about my roasting this bean, document the different roasts and edit the entry as I taste through them. Having read the threads thus far, gives me my plan with the bag o' beans. city roast, city plus roast, and full city roast. And two roasts each. The difference will be the RoR at onset 1C between the two roasts of each.
LMWDP #198