Roast and Learn Together - December 2014 - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#11: Post by TomC (original poster) »

First brew of this Kenyan this morning on the Clever at work was impressive, but a bit blunted in the separation of flavors. The intensity of the dry fragrance alone was a hint of how exciting this coffee can be. It might be the sweetest Kenyan I've ever had. The honey flavor is clear, distinguished and clean, not a ferment-y sort of sweetness. There's some dark tea notes and delicate spice that mixes well with the wonderful cinnamon note. Slippery mouthfeel with a very long, satisfying finish that develops over a period of time. Cools wonderfully into sort of a pecan, nutty note.

Once I noticed my setup issues with Artisan and connections, I decided not to run another batch with a different level of development, but I'll have to set aside a day where I can tear everything apart, redo it all, then run a few different profiles for the triangulation/impressions.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

johnny4lsu

#12: Post by johnny4lsu »

Finally got around to roasting the Gatomboya tonight.

Huky
350g
13% WL

Cupping notes to come in 3 or so days

SJM

#13: Post by SJM »

johnny4lsu wrote:Finally got around to roasting the Gatomboya tonight.

Huky
350g
13% WL

Cupping notes to come in 3 or so days

<image>

So, Johnny, what was happening with gas and fan between end of dry and first crack?

johnny4lsu

#14: Post by johnny4lsu »

So, Johnny, what was happening with gas and fan between end of dry and first crack?
I increased the heat some right after DE and kept the fan around 30% on my variac until around middle of ramp...Then increased to 45% until FC.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm doing :D

I'm really interested in how mostly everyone can extend drying phase so easy and then their ramp is really fast...Are y'all just mashing on the heat? I have plenty enough power left to do that if that's what most people do.

The main challenge for me is knowing when/why to use the fan vs heat and the combination. I'm getting better control of my huky everyday, but so much more to learn.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#15: Post by TomC (original poster) »

A cheap plastic lazy suzan and some stickers on the bottoms of my ceramic cupping bowls helped me do some simple blind cuppings of this coffee, 2 of one, 1 of the other. So far what I'm finding in my notes is that this is a coffee that definitely shines better with a more developed roast. I have graphs of the two profiles, one ending with 12% and the other 12.7% weight loss. The 12% is hollow and underdeveloped and is pretty easy to spot even blindly. The 12.7% is moderately better, tangy, floral , pomegranate and sweet but still slightly hollow in the mid palate and I think this coffee should be capable of more.

Here's an interesting thing to note. Seeing how similar at a glance the overall look of the profiles, except for the first profile is slightly longer and at a slightly lower temp than the second, still shows a significant effect in the cup. My first failed profile also clearly shows a stall towards the end. So, I'll build off #2 and stretch the development time even more on the next approach.

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

[creative nickname]

#16: Post by [creative nickname] »

I have way too much grading to get through this month, so I've only had time for two roasts so far. For those who want the short version: I liked a classic city roast of this far more than a slow-start, fast-finish nordic profile (although that may be due to poor execution of the second profile).

---

Roast #1: Classic city-roast profile

This was my first roast, and the coffee surprised me by entering FC sooner than I had expected.

Roasting Info:

Bean: Kenya Nyeri Gatomboya AA
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Charge Mass: 400g
Charge Temp: 325F
Dry/Ramp/Development: 5/2:45/2:15
FC-start temp: 368F (!)
Finish Temp: 389F
Overall Roast Time: 10 min.
Moisture Loss: 14%

Profile Plot:

[BT=Red, Exhaust=Green, Gas=Blue, Fan=Yellow]

Cupping Notes:

Rest: 3 days
Brewer: Cupping bowl
Grinder: Lido 2, 1+4
Water: 150g, 200mL
Coffee: 8.25g

Dry Fragrance: Cloves, chocolate, blood orange, grapefruit

Wet Aroma: Rich, pungent, berries & grapefruit

Warm taste: Juicy, strawberry/raspberry/ruby grapefruit, milky body, lingering sweet/tart aftertaste.

Cool cup: Bruit, juicy, sweet fruit & lingering sweet finish.

Overall Impression: Excellent.

---

As a comparison, I tried a Nordic, slow-start, fast-finish profile. This involved a stretched drying phase and a faster ramp, and a hotter, but shorter, development window. I have had good results with this approach for some Kenyans in the past, and I was curious to see if it would work well with this one. It didn't work out, but that be because I botched the execution somewhat.

Roast #2: SS/FF Nordic profile

Roasting Info:

Bean: Kenya Nyeri Gatomboya AA
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Charge Mass: 400g
Charge Temp: 300F
Dry/Ramp/Development: 6/2:30/1, fc@367F, 379F
FC-start temp:
Finish Temp:
Overall Roast Time:
Moisture Loss:

Profile Plot:

[BT=Red, Exhaust=Green, Gas=Blue, Fan=Yellow]

Cupping Notes:

Rest: 3 days
Brewer: Cupping bowl
Grinder: Lido 2, 1+4
Water: 150g, 200mL
Coffee: 8.25g

Dry Fragrance: Cloves, oregano, sweet tomato, blood orange

Wet Aroma: Chocolate, faint berries

Warm taste: Clean, clear key-lime & raspberry, black tea, faint jasmine, black tea body, drying finish

Cool cup: Shifting towards gen-mai-cha flavors, some raspberry, still drying in the aftertaste

Overall Impression: I liked this profile significantly less than the classic city roast. It had less sweetness, especially in the aftertaste, and I missed the body that was present in the classic city roast. This may have been a flaw in the execution; perhaps another 15 seconds each during the ramp and development phases would have smoothed out the astringent, tea-like notes, and I think I should have kept the heat even higher during development to get it to a slightly higher finish temperature. Nevertheless, the classic profile tastes so good that I doubt I will want to experiment further with a nordic approach to this coffee.
LMWDP #435