Roast and Learn: Brazil naturals

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Chert

#1: Post by Chert »

Before I get to the bean and what I want to learn, let me pose a question. Are any of you roasters working with a natural process coffee of Brazil? What do you try to achieve with those as far as roast degree, purpose, single origin, blending or otherwise?

How do you handle that bean differently than other origins?

If not, would you be interested in honing the skill of roasting naturals of Brazil?

I thought it might be interesting to compare methods to the Ethiopian Naturals recently discussed.

I am working with Brazil Dry Process Pedra Branca

I will post again soon about my experience with the first 5 roasts I have done with this bean. And describe how/why I am struggling for my desired optimal roast.
LMWDP #198

Chert (original poster)

#2: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Looking at a few of the roasts I've done with this, I think my takeaway is to stay low on the heat relative to higher grown coffee and I need to find out how much heat to back off to and when to keep my BT curve on that downward trend without pre 1c plateau. With RoR around 4-5 min/sec at the last 30 sec drop about 16-18 %.

This first roast shows me how the heat carries off the ramp for a surge and crash. The cup has good body, chocolate. no banana or vanilla I'm after.

A bit underdeveloped some sweetness, a little bready, but not bananabread.

I shared this with a friend for espresso blended with 35% Guji washed. But pulling shots today of the single origin without the Guji, the prominent flavor note was peanut. Redbird, anyone?

We'll see about this one. I got distracted and let it run too long.

It looks like charting delta ET shows a crash around boiling point. I guess that is to be expected from the beans absorbing heat to start the trapped moisture boiling? Is it a reflection of water content?

Here's a full city roast of a high grown central in which I don't back off the heat until EoD. The delta ET doesn't fall off. With the Brazil, the plunge starts before I decrease the heat and the step down is less than 1 inch water pressure on my gauge. I must go read again about the drying phase.

I don't what I can learn from the curves analysis, that Artisan offers now to show how the BT compares to three idealized curves.
LMWDP #198

crunchybean

#3: Post by crunchybean »

Why don't you do a pre1C plateau so you can eliminate the moisture thats going to be running away in the end of the roast? If you get into wet bag territory while the beans are gold to light brown, you went too long before kicking up the power. Cut the roast in the middle of the burn to finish when you can smell fruit. GL

Or this
Where green is slow, yellow is fairly slow but long then speeds up to brown and coasts through crack

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#4: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

More interesting learning Flint. All your roasts (except the last one) are very good vs X2 but not the flavors you want. Be interesting to follow this as you dial it in.

Also not really needed to run all three tests with Analyze. X2 should be fine for your Huky. I'm getting clarification on when the others might be used.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Almico

#5: Post by Almico »

I don't think I've ever had a DP Brazil, only pulp naturals, but the roasting process should be the same.

All the PN Brazil I've roasted has had a reverse post 1C crash. In other words, if left unattended, the pre-1C plateau rises after 1C instead of dropping.

I have a feeling it is due to the extra heat needed to keep these less dense coffees on the same BT curve as more dense coffees.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mkane »

You can move those analyze boxes where you want them so they don't cover information with a click & drag.

EddyQ

#7: Post by EddyQ »

Below is a photo of today's chaff from a Brazil pulp natural, which I really had to heat gingerly or it will tip and/or scorch. The chaff being this light shows my temperatures were quite low. The trick is to not significantly lengthen the roast.
LMWDP #671

Chert (original poster)

#8: Post by Chert (original poster) »

This thread is still open? I still have some of that Shrub bag of Brasil Pedra Branca. It has been really tasty and as I acquire other PN and Nat Brasil I try a similar roast profile. Moderate heat, and back off alot with about 2 min after 1C development. This graph compare a recent roast to one from earlier in the year. Either I just learned to really like this coffee or managed to improve my roasting of it.

LMWDP #198

Rickpatbrown

#9: Post by Rickpatbrown »

I will add my first go at the Brazil Natural from Royal Crown Jewels. This is my first Brazil natural, in general. I don't have much to compare to. Overall, it is pretty nice. Good body, good sweetness, some fruit in there that you expect from a natural. I thought that it roasted pretty easily. From just looking at the beans and knowing their density was lower, I used my experience from a Honduras honey processed I went through this year. This strategy worked pretty well. I pulled back on the heat quite aggressively after peak ROR and DE. I'm not sure where I want to go from here. I might try playing around with roast length, to see if I can pull some more sweetness out of them. I'm using them as a base for espresso blends, so body and sweetness are the key (although they worked well as a pourover, too).

Chert (original poster)

#10: Post by Chert (original poster) »

This was my effort of which I tasted espresso this morning. I was very pleased with caramels and honey sweetness and body but I found the late finish a little ashy. I'm not sure what's up with that. I will try to hit first crack a bit slower and shave development back a bit in a future effort.

Anyway I am quite pleased to have gotten in on this selection. On a par with the Pedra Branca I think.
LMWDP #198