Quick ramp... 1C too quick.. overall short roast

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Jfsgbtx

#1: Post by Jfsgbtx »

So I did 4 different roasts last night. All of them felt like quick roasts in that I was ramping too quickly and hitting first crack really early. This led to drop times around 8 minutes, which struck me as being too quick. Does anything from the profiles below make it obvious why I was getting to 1C so quickly? I was roasting 400, 500 gram batch sizes. I'm pretty sure I was charging too high of temp but wanted to see if anything looked obvious. Thanks in advance.

This was the general plan I was trying to stick to:

Columbia Geisha

Ethiopia Sidama

edpiep

#2: Post by edpiep »

I think it would help to show your DE marker on the BT curve separate from FCs. Separating them makes sense because one is not equal to the other and it would help put into perspective what is going on after DE from a gas/air standpoint. You can also mark all of the gas/air adjustments on your axes, you have to go into Config-->Events...you might have already known that though 8)

Also, what do these roasts taste like in comparison to what you wanted to achieve?

edpiep

#3: Post by edpiep »

Oh shoot, I just saw you have already done so, the black line for FCs is marked but it was hard to see because it was in line with the dark blue BT curve lol "my bad".

ballpencil

#4: Post by ballpencil »

Your peak ROR after TP (around 3 minute mark) seems reasonable which probably means your Charge Temp is ok. But try to charge lower, say 150C.

The concern is that instead of declining, your ROR seems to be increasing. Try to reduce your gas more aggressively or start with lower gas setting (say 18 instead of 24). You will need to especially since you increase airflow gradually. Don't be afraid to turn off the gas completely mid roast if you think the ROR is not declining quick enough.

walt_in_hawaii

#5: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

Charge temp looks ok. ROR looks ok to me, up to about halfway point. Look to decreasing your temp more, as the roast goes on. I have it idling (gas flow) from just after 1C, there's enough heat in the drum to finish the roast.

crunchybean

#6: Post by crunchybean »

If I disregard the things that look too odd to be true, the BT probe curve looks alright. But I don't know about the Geisha, I've never roasted that before.

How do they taste?

Jfsgbtx (original poster)

#7: Post by Jfsgbtx (original poster) replying to crunchybean »

What are the things that look too odd to be true?

The Geisha tasted pretty bad. Badly burnt and had almost a chemical smell and taste.

crunchybean

#8: Post by crunchybean »

Like mentioned above your delta ROR went up at the end of the first roast and your ET probe is picking up a lot of something, it might be placed not in the best location. It seems to be effected to much by the moisture loss during 1C.

I would also agree to lower your charge temp, and maybe the charge weight but if that is the average bean weight you like, then only alter the charge temp.

Are you going short because you want to go light for these beans? I'm sure they would be fantastic going into FC, great beans do not loose nuance but simply magnify in the roast.