Quest M3 sight glass popped out

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Peppersass
Supporter ♡

Postby Peppersass » Jun 04, 2019, 3:11 pm

Tore my Quest M3 down for a cleaning today and the small round sight glass popped out of the faceplate/door while it was soaking in Jo-Glo.

I don't see evidence of adhesive in the door cutout, but do see a very thin black line on the edges of the sight glass that could be what's left of some sort of adhesive. Then again, it could be baked-on bean oil.

It looks like the glass might stay in if just press-fit, but I wonder if it would be best to use a tiny bit of high-temp adhesive, like the stuff that's used for grill gaskets.

Any recommendations?

OldNuc

Postby OldNuc » Jun 04, 2019, 5:03 pm

Might be one of the new 700F rated RTV products would hold it in. Without actually seeing the problem this is what I would use after carefully cleaning the glass and face plate glass recess. https://www.permatex.com/products/gaske ... ket-maker/ Not expensive and will take the heat while holding the glass.

samuellaw178
Team HB

Postby samuellaw178 » Jun 04, 2019, 5:34 pm

I am not sure if this is due to the difference in different Quest models, or a result of user modification, or other reasons. The circular window glass on my Quest is retained by the heads of the screws that are slightly overhanging (the screw heads are visible if you flip the door and view from behind). The glass would come off if I loosen the screw heads, there is no adhesive or glue. Maybe your screws were loosen during the soaking process?

Peppersass
Supporter ♡

Postby Peppersass » Jun 04, 2019, 6:03 pm

samuellaw178 wrote:The circular window glass on my Quest is retained by the heads of the screws that are slightly overhanging (the screw heads are visible if you flip the door and view from behind). The glass would come off if I loosen the screw heads, there is no adhesive or glue. Maybe your screws were loosen during the soaking ?

Duh! :roll:

It popped out because I removed one of the nuts/washers holding it in. On my roaster, the sight glass is held in by two cap screws with washers/nuts on the inside of the faceplate. One of the cap screws is drilled, ala erics, for a 1/16" BT probe. I had some difficulty pulling the probe out so I took off the nut and washer to be able to rotate the screw. The other washer/nut held the glass in just long enough for me to put it in the detergent solution. It's been long enough since I cleaned the roaster that I forgot how the sight glass is held in place. Sheesh.

Thanks for the post, Sam. It totally solved the problem.

OldNuc

Postby OldNuc » Jun 04, 2019, 6:07 pm

Well, that explains it!

samuellaw178
Team HB

Postby samuellaw178 » Jun 04, 2019, 6:10 pm

Glad that's an easy one to solve! :D Reminds me that I need to clean my Quest too....

Peppersass
Supporter ♡

Postby Peppersass » replying to samuellaw178 » Jun 04, 2019, 6:48 pm

If you cleaned the roaster as often as you should, after how many roasts would you clean it?

samuellaw178
Team HB

Postby samuellaw178 » replying to Peppersass » Jun 04, 2019, 6:55 pm

In an ideal world, perhaps every 30-50 roasts? As soon as you see sticky chaff residue build up in the loading chute and in the fan area, those are a good sign to start cleaning. Those build up will in theory cause air friction and reduce your effective air flow.

That being said, I don't live in ideal world. :lol: And my dirty confession is that I haven't cleaned mine since at least 100 roasts or so (almost akin to publicly admitting I haven't taken a shower for 10 days!)... :oops:

Peppersass
Supporter ♡

Postby Peppersass » Jun 05, 2019, 6:58 pm

We all have dirty little secrets like that... :D

I often wonder how often commercial roasters clean their machines.