Quest M3 Roasting Instructions - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Viernes

#11: Post by Viernes »

This Roaster comes with a users guide from Taiwan or the instructions has been made Coffee Shrubs?

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#12: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

Yes.

New violins and sticky tape also come with manufacturer's instructions. The manufacturer's instructions on the roaster are more comprehensive than the instructions on a violin; less comprehensive than those on sticky tape.
Jim Schulman

Viernes

#13: Post by Viernes »

Oh, well. Now that I have a Quest, I understand your last post. :lol:

I have some questions...

- The nut that comes screwed to the analog thermometer, what is for?

- I have 2x Analog Thermomethers, a K type Thermocouple, and another thermocuple that I'm not sure what is :| Which should I use to get repeatable roasts? (My Quest have 2 holes for thermometers - Front up right and front down left)

- A fluke is a must? Which model? Or could I buy other cheap brand? Which brand?

More questions probably later. :oops:

Thanks.

Whale

#14: Post by Whale »

If you have not looked at the Artisan application you should. It is a great tool and it is getting better all the time.

You could be interested in this.

Artisan beta roasting software available

Sylvain
LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.

Viernes

#15: Post by Viernes »

Whale wrote:If you have not looked at the Artisan application you should.
Wow. Thanks for point me out! Awesome tool.

Will this work for the Ipad?? If not, it should! :D
benm5678 wrote:youtube video
Great video. Thank you for the effort. :)

How did you attached the duct to the Quest? Do you use another fan to extract the smoke along the duct?

benm5678

#16: Post by benm5678 »

Hi Oton
Congratz on the Quest, hope you'll love it as some of the others here.

That nut on the thermometer is just a spacer to help you position it so #s are upright...

Yes, I have an inline fan to help it out... it's attached via one of the bolts in the back through a poked hole in the duct - kinda of a loose unsealed fit on purpose... to avoid restricting the Quest airflow in any way. It works great... only smoke is when I dump the beans before i move them to cooling area -- I would like to take care of that one day by connecting the aux fan to the cooling tray (when it's in front of machine)... this way dump beans, and smoke gets exhausted right away (and cooling starts).

Viernes

#17: Post by Viernes »

Thx ben. I have duct now, but when I drop the coffee the smoke is terrible, specially reached 2C.
another_jim wrote:Trap door open, no fan for the drying phase.
Why open the trap door for the dying phase? Taste improvement?

Also what should I do to minimize the acidity and keep the sweetness (for espresso). Long or short dry? Long or short to 1C? Long or short to 2C?

another_jim (original poster)
Team HB

#18: Post by another_jim (original poster) »

If you have a hot drum, or keep the heat at around 5 to 6, and keep the trap door open, you will get heat powered, convection airflow, and can roast (slowly) without forced airflow. If the trapdoor is shut, that airflow is blocked, and the beans will roast unevenly.

This trick saves me time when I roast a lot of different coffees in each session. I cool the beans from the previous roast on the rear tray using full fan, while starting the next roast using the open trap door (and no fan, since the flow is blocked). By the time I've finished cooling and storing the last roast's beans, and removing the chaff from the trap, the new batch is nearly done drying. The drying is done in about 4 to 4 1/2 minutes using this method, so it works for reproducing the standard range of 10 to 15 minute roast profiles used by most professional roasters.

If you need faster drying times, this trick won't work unless you keep the dose down around 100 grams.
Jim Schulman

Carneiro

#19: Post by Carneiro »

I was reading again about air flow in general and on the Quest...

I'm usually roasting with 2-3 minutes without air flow, then a air flow around 4-5 until first crack, then maximum air flow during first crack until the end of the roast. I think I was considering what I've learned when I did roast with a commercial roaster and I was trying to keep some moisture to the 1st crack.

Now I'm thinking again... What difference should we have from this and the way Jim and others roast? I think I'll try to make new profiles using Jim approach and compare them.

Márcio.

Viernes

#20: Post by Viernes »

Any news Márcio? Differences between Jim's profile and yours?

By the way, could you explain more what's your method? Thx :)