Quest M3 Mods - Page 24

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
AssafL

#231: Post by AssafL »

FotonDrv wrote:So as the Roaster Drum of life goes round and round it is a good place to meditate on all else :D
I'll try this on my 3-yo:

The roaster drum of life goes round and round, round and round...all through the town.
The beans in the drum go up and down, up and down....all through the town...
The PID in the roaster goes on and off, off and on, on... all through the town.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#232: Post by FotonDrv »

To get back on topic, I seem to remember that someone put a thermocouple probe into the exhaust path of a perforated drum, like the 3s drum, roaster. Does someone have a photo or a recommendation of exactly where they would put it.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

AssafL

#233: Post by AssafL replying to FotonDrv »

Tom was the first, I did the same and agree that it tells you more than the standard place.

I don't know where Tom placed his. Mine is as below:

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#234: Post by FotonDrv »

Thanks Assaf.

What is the other thing attached to the chute on the front?

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#235: Post by FotonDrv »

If we put all the probes in the same locations then the information might be a bit more accurate in regards to swapping the findings/graphs.

AssafL

#236: Post by AssafL replying to FotonDrv »

If we all put them in the same locations and have the same probes - and the same insertion depth.

Also - one needs a way to measure watts.

The other thing in the front is a gooseneck LED lamp to view the beans.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#237: Post by FotonDrv »

If you can measure watts from the complete machine you need to disregard the fan motor which may or may not be a constant but probably of no consequence. Would you trust the amp meter on the machine? I would because they are probably all the same meter. But then you have the 240V Vs the 120V machines....

Heat is a number that can be measured and whoever makes the probes, meters, etc. we would all be in the same ballpark just maybe not exact. Remember, the beans are not exact in age, moisture content or source so it does not matter all that much.

Sort of like growing flowers, the end result will vary even if it is the same seed because all the other variables involved.

AssafL

#238: Post by AssafL replying to FotonDrv »

I wired a Murata (ex Datel) Power meter in the Quest (to the heater only). It shows Watts, Voltage, Current and PF. http://www.murata-ps.com/datasheet?http ... /acm20.pdf

You wire the voltage and it has a current transformer to measure the current. It fit in where the original quest used to be with a few hacked holes (looks butt-ugly - if I were a DIY type I'd make a nice looking cover out of machined grinder grade aluminum), which is close to the heater. I was very concerned it would warp the meter but it doesn't.

Cursory glance at Digikey and they are 50% more expensive now at 65 or so bucks. http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/2092084

AssafL

#239: Post by AssafL »

FotonDrv wrote:Sort of like growing flowers, the end result will vary even if it is the same seed because all the other variables involved.
"You're beautiful, but you're empty...One couldn't die for you. Of course, an ordinary passerby would think my rose looked just like you. But my rose, all on her own, is more important than all of you together, since she's the one I've watered. Since she's the one I put under glass, since she's the one I sheltered behind the screen. Since she's the one for whom I killed the caterpillars (except the two or three butterflies). Since she's the one I listened to when she complained, or when she boasted, or even sometimes when she said nothing at all. Since she's my rose."
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

The main problem we all suffer from is confirmation bias that taints everything we say and do. We judge based on prior experiences we have. With the exception of a few pro tasters (such as Jim) that spends countless hours practicing and discussing tasting with others - we all talk but are prone to interpreting the same flavor completely different (one's lemon is another's underdeveloped bean reeking of chlorogenic acid). I've read once someone saying ash is good. I beg to differ BUT WHO AM I TO DIFFER? (a long time ago I did this sort of tasting education with wine - it took years of getting the necessary sensory memory of the different flavonoids - mostly typical flavonoids...).

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#240: Post by FotonDrv »

Thanks for the Links. That is a good mod to be able to isolate the different current draws.