Quest M3 Mods - Page 19

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#181: Post by FotonDrv »

OK guys, Molly just sent the 2 (two) different style of "Perforated" drums that are available.

Which ones would you all recommend????

UPDATED: decision made, the M3s drum is what I am going to get. Will keep you all updated as to how long it takes to get here once shipped and what needs to be done to install it, which I hope is nothing more than slide it in place.

The drum that is labeled "Perforated drum" is what is being put in the current model Quests and is probably the reason for the chaff/debris drawer under the burner area on the outside shell.

sample 1.

Sample 2.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

AndreG
Supporter ♡

#182: Post by AndreG »

These are for counter-clockwise machines. Also, M3s drum have only one cross member.

AssafL

#183: Post by AssafL »

Why on earth would you have right hand and left hand turn models? I can only guess a good deal on left hand motors in Shenzen or Guangzhou markets. Now you have to juggle multiple jigs, deal with a propensity for spare part errors, etc.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#184: Post by FotonDrv replying to AssafL »

Maybe they are made in 2 different factories in China?

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#185: Post by TomC (original poster) »

The original design run was fantastic for left-handers ( like myself) but obviously a very small percentage of the population. I think they realized that the design was better having the sampler scoop on the other side, and changed rotation to match.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

AssafL

#186: Post by AssafL »

Oh. I am right handed. Perhaps my lack of being inconvenienced can be indicative of being slightly ambidextrous?

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#187: Post by FotonDrv »

AndreG wrote:These are for counter-clockwise machines. Also, M3s drum have only one cross member.
Actually there are 2 "cross members" (I assume you are referring to internal bracing of the drum to shaft connection). One of the cross members are the 3 struts and the second one is the full cross member which is the end plate that contacts the drum in more than 3 places and insures roundness.

millcityroasters

#188: Post by millcityroasters »

AssafL wrote:Why on earth would you have right hand and left hand turn models? I can only guess a good deal on left hand motors in Shenzen or Guangzhou markets. Now you have to juggle multiple jigs, deal with a propensity for spare part errors, etc.
On an AC motor, the direction of rotation is typically governed by the way the starting capacitor is wired. Changing from clockwise to counter clockwise rotation is done by swapping 2 wires.

AssafL

#189: Post by AssafL replying to millcityroasters »

Yes for AC induction motors. Shaded pole synchronous motors don't need a capacitor.

The intent of my question was why would they do it? Having to manage inventories of left and right drums and facias and getting the rats nest wiring right didnt make sense to me. If the change was meant to placate right handers - I admit the left handed configuration has not troubled me a bit.

millcityroasters

#190: Post by millcityroasters replying to AssafL »

Maybe for delivery north or south of the equator?

I've never taken a Quest apart, but the pics on Google images appear to show a starting cap.