Quest M3 BT probe position - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
afan (original poster)

#11: Post by afan (original poster) »

The diameter of the hole is 1.6mm and the diameter of TC is 1.5mm

LMWDP #327
SCAA Q-Grader

UltramaticOrange

#12: Post by UltramaticOrange »

Anyone have any luck sourcing an appropriately sized thermocouple? The ones I've found with a reasonable diameter (assuming it's listed in the specs) are much too long.
If your tiny coffee is so great, then why don't you drink more of it?

bigbad

#13: Post by bigbad »

What kind of probes are those? Thanks, looking into a Quest myself, but the DIY aspect of it seems a bit confusing. I have zero mechanical background so I'm just in absolutely awe at what everyone here's been able to accomplish on their own.

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by FotonDrv »

TomC wrote:My BT probe from erics is simply bent so that it lays directly in the center of the bean mass.

I've also pulled out my ET probe and am going without it. I never really made decisions or changes in the roast based on it, so it was only visual clutter in my opinion.
Tom:

What probes are you using now? Placement?

Stephen
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

TomC
Team HB

#15: Post by TomC »

I still have the same BT probe in the same position ( underneath the tryer) and the MET probe lays just outside of the drum, thru Erics' modified screw that holds the dosing chute in place.

I kick around the idea of putting the analogue thermometer back in where it came stock. The radiant heat from the drum can slightly affect my presumed ET, when I have the roaster empty between roasts, I look at the BT, which still closely matches the ET, but could be/should be skewed since it's very close to the drum.

Being able to glance up and see the ET is rather hand. I'm not in front of it at the moment, but I'm nearly certain that its a Celsius thermometer, which kinda screws with my head and quick calculations when I'm monitoring two other variables in Fehrenheit at the same exact time. I'd probably swap it out eventually for a simple Fehrenheit probe that threads in. I imagine it wouldn't be hard to adapt to the stock threading configuration.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by FotonDrv »

Thanks Tom. Yep, having both Fahrenheit and Celsius would be confusing for sure.

Using the OEM temp probe seems to work OK if you are not planning on using computer profiles??

TomC
Team HB

#17: Post by TomC »

Having a simple, easy to read graph in real time like Artisan is so beneficial. Yes, you can roast with your nose, the tryer and the analogue thermometer only, and get great results. You can even get consistent results if you get the basics down. But it's great to have real time feedback of what's going on in the roast.

I stopped saving profiles quite a long time ago, but I still use it everytime to study the BT ROR and how the roast is developing. With practice ( a lot of practice) you can learn not only whats happing now but what's coming. Very rarely will I profile a coffee. I'll roast several batches of several coffees in one session, and then cup them out over the next week or so, making mental notes of what went well, and what needs to be improved on. When I first got Artisan, I started trying to save my profiles in a simple folder, but I'm so significantly tech retarded, that I cannot for the life of me do it in an easy, clean organized fashion. It got to the point that I had to take a screen shot of the individual roast and save that in the folder, but that's only a sliver of the total info, just your graphs. But Artisan is capable of a great deal more.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by FotonDrv »

Thanks Tom!

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by FotonDrv »

Yesterday I ordered a Quest so I can play in the hot little barrel too :D

erics
Supporter ★

#20: Post by erics »

Anyone have any luck sourcing an appropriately sized thermocouple? The ones I've found with a reasonable diameter (assuming it's listed in the specs) are much too long.
I have been ordering 1/16" diameter, 2" length Type K thermocouples for the purpose of measuring BT in this alternate location. They need to be bent such that their maximum protrusion into the drum is ~1.0".

From a non-roaster's (me) standpoint, it would seem they are ideal for low bean loads and also OK for "regular" loads. I would arbitrarily define "regular" as 200 grams.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com