Quest M3 / Artisan / TMD-56 -> stock thermocouples

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
badperson

#1: Post by badperson »

Hi Guys,
I am the new ecstatic owner of a quest M3. I have only done 2 roasts so far, just tracking the temp by manually entering into a spreadsheet. The new TMD-56 arrived last night and I started playing with it, having some driver issues.

The stock K-Type thermocouples that it came with are clearly not set up for the roaster; there are just loose wire with plastic over the end. I have searched on this site and the EricS thermocouples look to be the way to go, so will likely order that today.

In the meantime, can I make any use of the stock thermocouples? For the short term was going to try simply marking an equivalent length of the end of the wire, sticking it in and using some tape. Obviously not a long term thing, but will be ok for a week or so?

thanks!

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

I'd expect the beans thrashing about in the drum would tear hell out of the wire thermoprobes.

badperson (original poster)

#3: Post by badperson (original poster) »

I actually tried it and it wasn't too bad the first roast. I wedged the thermocouple in and held it in place with a piece of cloth, I pushed it in so it was moving around with the drum and then pulled back til it was still. I did that with both BT and ET. On the first batch the temps seemed ok; 1st crack right at about 400F and 2nd at 4:20 or so.

Probably not super accurate but I think can work in a pinch until my custom thermocouples arrive.

amh0001

#4: Post by amh0001 »

HI Badperson,

Seems like we are in the same boat. I just recently bought an M3 and got the amprob and erics thermos. I chose the alternate been placement prob, but I dont think you could go wrong with either one. I am still trying to get the hang of roasting on the quest. I have a whole thread with some good info.

Help me get better roasts with my Quest M3 (with graphs)

Once you get going, please let me know how your doing and if if you get it figured out post and tell us! Cheers.

~Adam

badperson (original poster)

#5: Post by badperson (original poster) »

will do...have been following that thread and will post something up there once I get a few more roasts under my belt, get basic artisan functionality down, etc.

I have been roasting in a behmor for like 5 years, and I would occasionally hear 1st crack, but very rarely 2nd. With the quest it's just right there, and the ability to take the roast anywhere you want to go is amazing. First order of business for me is dealing with the fact that in my roasts, 1st crack seemed to bleed into 2nd. I had a roast last night where I *think* it was full city +, but 2nd crack was definitely under way, but definitely not as much as the previous which was a definite vienna, 2nd crack blazing away as I dropped the beans and put the fan on.

The roasts I've done recently are a bit too dark for my taste, but then again, I really did not have the option to go that dark with the behmor. I had a very routine thing going; 10oz greens, 1lb P3 D+2, that would usually turn out a reliable FC roast. But I am really looking forward to digging into a SO green and learning its nuances. I think my next purchase will likely be 15lb or so of a single Guatemala or El Salvador and learn it backwards and forwards.

very psyched to finally have this roaster and to get it up and running.

GeneBean

#6: Post by GeneBean »

badperson,
I have a 2011 version of the Quest. I've painted the drum. I find that some beans have a loud 1C and some don't. With some beans their is a definite space between 1C and 2C. Others go right into 2C like you mentioned. I never go to 2C anymore since I like lighter roasts these days. Be careful and check the bottom space between the drum and the outer shell with a flashlight and vacuum out any chaff that gets in there. I check that between every roast. You are going to love the versatility of this little roaster. I just finished 5 lb. of Ethiopian natural. I found if I roasted just 5 degrees above 1c the fruit bomb attributes almost entirely disappeared. And that is not even a dark roast not even into 2C. Have fun.
Gene

Mondaycoffee888

#7: Post by Mondaycoffee888 »

Hello, everyone!
That's my first post ,and it's not related to the topic of this group. But could anyone explain how to work with Artisan software? The problem i have is that I'm trying to use it without device, because i can't connect it to my Chinese roaster OPEX 1000 ( small batch roaster). Could anyone tell me if you had similar experience in plotting roasting without a device? On my graphs there is no information of Delta ET, Delta BT. And also i can't figure it out how to plot turn around Temperature, so it will look like a curve. Here is a snap shot of the first roast i tried to plot without connecting to device. Would appreciate your help.
Was trying to contact Artisan customer support, but nobody replied
Thank you
Maria

turtle

#8: Post by turtle »

badperson wrote:Hi Guys,
I am the new ecstatic owner of a quest M3. I have only done 2 roasts so far, just tracking the temp by manually entering into a spreadsheet. The new TMD-56 arrived last night and I started playing with it, having some driver issues.

The stock K-Type thermocouples that it came with are clearly not set up for the roaster; there are just loose wire with plastic over the end. I have searched on this site and the EricS thermocouples look to be the way to go, so will likely order that today.

In the meantime, can I make any use of the stock thermocouples? For the short term was going to try simply marking an equivalent length of the end of the wire, sticking it in and using some tape. Obviously not a long term thing, but will be ok for a week or so?

thanks!
Sounds like you only need a couple k-type male plugs.

You don't want to use different wire as it will fiddle up your readings. Use the wire that is connected to the probe and put a plug on it

You can pick them up at most electronic supply houses or order online. I got mine from Auberins instruments for less than $2

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=417

They will fit in the TMD-56 as that is what I use for my interface too

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee