Propane pressure

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
coffee cat

#1: Post by coffee cat »

Question to the brainiacs. I have a 1kg propane roaster I have purchased new from Turkey. From the day one it took long time to worm up and roasting temp. remained low during the roast, I stopped using it and concentrated on my Sonofresco. Today I decided to go back and try it again.While vacuuming chaff from the unit, Iv noticed a pressure regulator inside the machine. The propane hose from the tank already has a regulator.Could the fact that there are two regulators be responsible for lower temperature? Your expertise is much appreciated.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

Did the regulator on the tank come with the roaster? Is the 'regulator' in the roaster actually the adjustable gas flow valve? I think we need more information here. Maybe give the make and model and someone here may have specific advice.

Some speculation and general info: The raw (unregulated) pressure from all propane tanks is from about 100 to well over 300 psi, mostly dependent on the temperature. Regulators cut this down, depending on the heat to be produced. Those for a BBQ run at about 0 to 6 ounces and cannot produce more than about 35 to 45 thousand BTU of heat. Those for large smokers produce 0 to 20 psi (i.e., way more heat). If the regulator did not come with the roaster, and if it is a typical BBQ regulator, then that's your problem on a large roaster. On my home made air roaster the smoker regulator gives the coarse adjustment, then the needle valve on the roaster gives the fine adjustment.

Another issue is dirty propane. It is not uncommon for crud in propane tanks to clog a regulator, especially the smaller ones like on BBQs. If you use little 1-pound bottles they are filtered, but if you use a refillable tank, you should have a filter installed between the tank and the first regulator, as refillable propane cylinders do not get filtered propane at most filling stations.

Boldjava

#3: Post by Boldjava »

Have you contacted manufacturer? What did they say?
-----
LMWDP #339

JK

#4: Post by JK »

Are you sure they are both regulators or is one maybe a shutoff valve?
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

If you have inadequate propane flow you would also be able to recognize it by not being able to turn up the flame sufficiently. In my 1 Kg roaster I can see the flame. Can you see yours and does it look like videos of your roaster at the manufacturer or a dealer, working properly?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

coffee cat (original poster)

#6: Post by coffee cat (original poster) »

Thanks for replying guys. Here is the picture of regulator inside the roaster

The regulator on the Tank is the regular BBQ type. I can see the flames, but there are no specs or videos from manufacturer.

JK

#7: Post by JK »

Two regulators is ok but is there a way to adjust heat during the roast?
-----------------------------
I'm on a Mission from God!

coffee cat (original poster)

#8: Post by coffee cat (original poster) »

The only way to adjust temp. is with PID, but it never gets that high.

erics
Supporter ★

#9: Post by erics »

The gas pressure regulator inside your roaster is a second stage regulator. The first stage of regulation takes place at your propane tank.

It would simply be my GUESS that the first stage regulator is reducing the pressure BELOW that required by the one in your roaster since you have stated that the problem existed from day one.

It is time to either read the manual that came with your roaster or contact the mfg (as others have said) as regards the required input pressure to the roaster. And for all of this, it is time for a licensed individual to measure these pressures, i.e. not recommended as a "do-it-yourself" project.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

^ ^ ^
+1

That roaster looks extremely capable (and beautiful). I'm sure that once you've got it set up you'll be able to control it very well. I say this because it has the kind of design of similar 1 Kg roasters like the North, where you can vary heat, airflow, and probably drum speed. I would be surprised if you can adjust the gas by hand in some way. Can you show us a close-up of the control panel? I'm interested in seeing what those blue knobs do.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!