Probatino won't burn properly

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Laurentje

#1: Post by Laurentje »

So me & a friend bought a probatino roaster. We're using gas bottles (propane) but we can't seem to get it to burn well.

Gas bottle is connected with a 50mbar regulator. Flame is really small. Hope you guys can help.

Almico

#2: Post by Almico replying to Laurentje »

Is it jetted for natural gas?

jammin

#3: Post by jammin replying to Almico »

If it was jetted for NG he wouldn't have a small flame problem problem on propane. It would be the opposite

Lauren - take the cap of your regulator & screw in the adjustment screw 1/2 to 1 full turn (clockwise) & see if that helps.

1.). Tell us more about the roaster. Is it new? If it is used, how was the previous owner using it?

2.) how do your adjust flame? Is there a pressure gauge on the roaster? Tell us what it's reading at full open.

3.) can you share pictures of your gas supply line starting at the propane cylinder & include roaster connection, control valve & burner manifold with the flame maxed out?

This shouldn't be tough to trouble shoot

tracer bullet

#4: Post by tracer bullet »

When you turn on the gas, make sure everything after the regulator is closed off first. Next, turn on the downstream stuff and light it.

I've found that with gas grills, homebrewing burners, etc. that if you do it in the wrong order (downstream stuff on first not last) you get a really weak flame. Something about how the regulators work.

That might not be the issue but do make sure to turn things on in the right order, it makes a difference.

jammin

#5: Post by jammin »

tracer bullet wrote:make sure to turn things on in the right order, it makes a difference. Something about how the regulators work
this reminds of me calling tech support & getting asked if i turned off the device and powered it back on. only difference is this can't possibly help

consumer grade regulators like what you are using are spring regulators. downstream pressure must load the diaphragm in order to overcome the force of the spring/actuator. The nature of this action opening & closing the supply orifice nullifies your suggestion that order of operations makes a difference. In other words, they are full open until downstream pressure says otherwise.
Spring regulators are somewhat binary. Either the pressure down stream drops below the spring force which releases the seat from the orifice or the equipment ceases demand causing pressure to equalize which seals the seat against the orifice. If all downstream pathways are open then the circuit goes full send to ground. Although highly unlikely, your suggestion actually would be more likely to mitigate CFH than augment.

tracer bullet

#6: Post by tracer bullet »

jammin wrote:only difference is this can't possibly help
Here's an example of what I am referring to:

https://grilltanksplus.com/how-to-reset ... regulator/

If it doesn't apply, because of a different method of supplying fuel to the roaster, then my apologies for not understanding. It sounded quite similar wanted to share what I knew.

jammin

#7: Post by jammin replying to tracer bullet »

and it certainly couldn't hurt to try! i apologize for my poor wording. after reading it again it sounded quite abrupt. this is basically an EFV and I've worked with several different types of these on pipelines. good catch on things to check off the list. if it is not reset & just bleeding by it could very well lead to an attenuated flame.