Pondering roast profiles

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Marcelnl

#1: Post by Marcelnl »

Not wanting to pollute the thread Are today's small batch roasters too inconsistent? with profiles that have no place there I thought it better to start a new one.

new day another roast (have to keep up with an ever growing demand at home)

Huky 500T perforated drum, I've grown accustomed to charging around 240'C using a 375 g batch, at this point I'm applying heat 60 seconds after charging and close the shutter at 175'C and am now dialing back heat almost constantly looking RoR while adding air around dry end and just prior to FC but am also tweaking air to manage RoR.
This one smelled GOOD during drying and throughout but am open to any suggestion based on the profile

Questions:
I seem to notice a temp increase, or drop in RoR decrease at dry end, is that correct?

There also is something happening at the very end of the roast, I guess it may be something like the end of FC entering another stage where processes take over that require more heat or rather produce/release less heat?

LMWDP #483

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by pcofftenyo »

1) what kind of coffee is it and how did it taste?
2) my profile looks pretty similar although I charge at from 200C to 220C.
3) I've recently started to slow the roast down sooner to get less temp change during 1C
3) can you change your readout to show fan and heat settings
4) I get the same increase in ROR at the end of the roast without changing heat (very, very low) or fan (75% or better). I drop before 2 C.

I've gotten a couple recent light roasts that are a little grassy and I'd like to eliminate that. Maybe going a little longer toward 2C or a little hotter through 1C.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#3: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

I can't say that what I do on my North 500 gram will translate but on a very high level, after a one min soak, I have a gas starting point. Usually its 3.2kPa but I am at 7750 feet in CO so whatever you think is best. But here is the key. From 300-350F I drop the gas every 10 degrees so that its roughly 40% of the starting point. Then it coasts there until about 1:15 before FC where I cut the gas in half. Then at about 45 to 30 seconds before FC it goes back to where it was. This has reduced that flick you see quite a bit. Also 45 seconds after FC I up the air in my roaster. I adjust gas after FC based on what I am seeing and how fast I want to end. If anyone wants an excel of this PM me with your email. Thanks.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

edtbjon

#4: Post by edtbjon »

Now that looks like a pretty good profile. The answer is of course in the cup, not a pretty profile. :)
You could make some very minor adjustments to the very end of the profile. But that is a very small flick, which after some 30 seconds (close to the end of the roast) goes back into the general direction of the DeltaBT. But as the previous poster indicated, you have to set that up earlier, while approaching 1C. In general, if you are making many adjustments, you are kind of "chasing your own tail", instead of being on top of and ahead of the game. The idea is to make a planned adjustment (usually a reduction of heat or increase of airflow) and let the roast pick up on that change over time. For my self, that meant analyzing my control pattern (heat and air adjustments), and reducing some 3-4 small adjustments into one bigger adjustment. My basic roast profile has three airflow adjustments and 3-4 heat adjustments, that's it.

Marcelnl (original poster)

#5: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

just pulled the first double of this direct trade NIcaraguan Catuai from Santa Marie de Lourdes in San Fernando region, a pulped natural (honey), flow was still a tad faster and thinner so short after roasting but it was better than I have tasted this green before; balanced, good body, broad taste of nuts and caramelly sweetness complemented with a real nice acidity, or rather tartness ( I'm not very fond of acidic coffee at all). All in all the best coffee I've had for a while even when it's not the most complex one.

I hear what you say about chasing your tail, I did that with a previous roast where I discovered the air valve was still closed 5 min into the roast...that roast went everywhere (and then some) and tasted quite poor.

Can that second flick be the imminent start of SC?
My roaster has a perforated drum which makes it look as if I charge at very high temperatures but I have less thermal mass due to the perforations and no tipping or scorching.
I don't have fan readouts as the fan is an AC on off job and stil have to play around with adding manual notes for fan and gas setting but recently I turned back to using 4Kpa as starting point for gas then dialing that down gradually until right before FC when I dial it down further in one step. Air is increased in three major steps but with small adjustements to keep my RoR on track (trying to keep track of the decrease in RoR, aiming for 0.2 C less in each measurement)

found a UK supplier of what seems to be the same green;
https://www.myrtlecoffee.co.uk/sites/my ... oney_0.pdf
LMWDP #483

Almico

#6: Post by Almico »

That looks like a very tasty profile!

I tend to get a RoR rise around 1:25 post 1C and another around 2:20. It seems to be pretty consistent on most coffees. I've gotten into the habit of anticipating them and reducing the heat a bit at each step.

If you can, try emulating that profile with the same coffee and a) drop at the same time but try and eliminate the minor flick and b) drop it just before the flick occurred.

Cup those 3 roasts together all the way down to room temperature and see what you think.

#7: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

thanks! will try do that tonight, that will be my first cupping (until now I just run a double espresso slightly longer the day after roasting and let the rest mature)
LMWDP #483

Chert

#8: Post by Chert »

Question about that roast. You did not mark an end to 1C. Was it still popping? A 350+ g batch on my Huky usually has 1C ending closer to 209C. My drum is solid, which may affect BT readings, I suppose.
LMWDP #198

#9: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

I usually do not log end of FC as it can be drawn out by much and I don't go into 2nd either, for start of FC I use three consecutive cracks as start, but that is hardly possible with a lack of crack ;-) Guess I could use some period of no crack, what do others do?

this one was done popping when I dropped. Until now I thought BT is pretty much spot on, dry end usually is actually at the point where Artisan calls for it at 150'C
LMWDP #483

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by pcofftenyo »

Almico wrote: I tend to get a RoR rise around 1:25 post 1C and another around 2:20. It seems to be pretty consistent on most coffees. I've gotten into the habit of anticipating them and reducing the heat a bit at each step.

Cup those 3 roasts together all the way down to room temperature and see what you think.
Where is 2C in relationship to your RoR bumps noted above?