Pondering roast profiles - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by pcofftenyo »

Marcelnl wrote: NIcaraguan Catuai from Santa Marie de Lourdes in San Fernando region.

I don't have fan readouts as the fan is an AC on off job and stil have to play around with adding manual notes for fan and gas setting but recently I turned back to using 4Kpa as starting point for gas then dialing that down gradually until right before FC when I dial it down further in one step. Air is increased in three major steps but with small adjustements to keep my RoR on track (trying to keep track of the decrease in RoR, aiming for 0.2 C less in each measurement)

found a UK supplier of what seems to be the same green;
https://www.myrtlecoffee.co.uk/sites/my ... oney_0.pdf
I got a blended lot of the above coffee with a washed process and really, really like it. Its from the Octavio Peralta farm. Yummy.

You can set your Artisan for fan and heat settings: I've found they help me keep track of activity during my roasts. For your on off fan you can have two buttons then set them for off/on as appropriate. My fan was the same but I wired in a rotary dial light dimmer with % settings from 25% to 100%. Not super accurate but pretty close. For your gas you can set the buttons for the way you move your heat. I use whole lb from 6 to 1 then a 0.25 where my burner is just on a simmer. These help.

The instructions show how to enable a background profile of a sample I liked. Tried it last night and it was a nice and easy visual reference.

Almico

#12: Post by Almico »

pcofftenyo wrote:Where is 2C in relationship to your RoR bumps noted above?
Those are not my RoR bumps. It's not my profile. But Marcel got a bump at 2:20ish which is right about where I get it.

Marcelnl (original poster)

#13: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

I did not get to roast yesterday or today gue to the need to whack out some work bushfires, but today my new stash arrived: 8 kg of Panama Boquete :D
Ample supply to do some roast tinkering with, I plan to go pro on this and do some roast profiling as a first ever for me.
LMWDP #483

#14: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

Panama Boquete from Lerida Estate, SHG fully washed. All three roasts a lot lighter than I usually go for, based on preliminary info from the supplier.

1st roast, ging for hot and fast, full 4.5 KPa

2nd roast going for slightly less fast, 4KPa initially dialed down a bit more after DE going for same profile during drying

3rd roast going for slower , same towards DE, gas around 3.5 KPa

trying a bit around, just did my first cupping, my GF and myself were anonymous in our votes that we liked the last two best.

second roast is very sweet but the third one is more rounded and complex yet a bit thinner. We'll see how it works out as espresso.

the first and second have that wonky end, I'm not sure what it is but I now know that I do need to get rid of the chaff between roasts...
LMWDP #483

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by pcofftenyo »

Marcelnl,

You seem to have gotten the post 1C RoR issue resolved and you like the results in roast 2.

I've got a similar altitude Central to play with so I'm going to mirror your profile to see what happens.

When are you back on the gas after turning point and how far up do you go?

When do you cut gas again and how far down?

When i've been coasting into 1c after cutting gas to 0.25 kpa @ 190c I've been getting the same RoR late after 1c is over. I've been raising fan speed to 75% to get smoke out of the drum

what size was your batch?

pcar

#16: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

my batch size is 375 grams for all roasts I do lately, in order to cut out at least one variable.

I hit the gas at 60 seconds after charging, on the secind roast I went to 4 KPa, on the third to 3.5. I liked the third roast better overall.
What I stared doing recently is not cutting the gas in major steps but I try to follow the declining RoR, with a goal of maintaining 0.2 C decrease with each new value so I focus on the RoR readout and see if I can maintain a steady decrease or 0.2.

sometimes I need to decrease gas sometimes add some air, yet overall I increase air in three major steps; first just prior to dry end (up to ~35%), second just prior to FC (like 60%) and the third one ( to ~80%) towards the wonky end rise in RoR (which seems pretty uncontrollable)
I start off with no Air from charge to 60 seconds after charge when I hit the gas and start the air at low (20% or so).
I may end up at the very end of the roast at 0.25Kpa but I'm well over that until the last minute or so with the method of following the 0.2 C/measurement RoR decline I somehow 'invented' (not at all sure that it is something to do, it seems to work for now)

But don;t take this as THE recipe to success as I consider myself a total newbie at roasting on the Huky using Artisan....

I try to visualize what happens inside the drum and beans and attempt to do what I think that will allow moisture to evaporate, bean chemistry to evolve and not charring flaovors off. A major difference to most roasters is that mine has a perforated drum with a shutter I close at 175'C.

Coming from an Illy can on a drill the responsiveness is probably similar but I never had anything else than smell and sound to roast so all the digital input is new to me...
LMWDP #483

mbenedet

#17: Post by mbenedet »

I' really like to see the timing of your heat and air changes on each curve itself. There is certainly a way to show event lines in Artisan.

Without knowing anything else about your setup, your first curve from the most recent batch of 3 looks the most reasonable. You can absolutely 100% control that flick at the end. Cut your gas ahead of it. And don't change air if you can help it. Try making your last air change ahead of first crack. Changing air at the end of first crack, on a drum roaster at least, can contribute to a brief ROR increase.

Roast 2 crashed slightly in the beginning of first crack. Notice your ET peaked earlier in this roast.
Roast 3 was too slow, ROR dragged on low for a long time and your final BT is drastically lower than the other 2. I'd guess it's less developed compared to the others.

If you managed to get that ROR to keep declining at the end of your first roast, you'd probably have a sweeter flavor and a lower final BT.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#18: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

mbenedet wrote:I' really like to see the timing of your heat and air changes on each curve itself. There is certainly a way to show event lines in Artisan.
I prefer sliders to mark both my heat and air changes. Some people prefer buttons. Note that I use the mini editor to "correct" some events while the roast is in progress. For example I soak for a minute, then turn gas up to my starting point, then move the slider. It might record at 1:08 and I just use the mini editor to mark it back to 1:00.

Information on how to set up events can be found here:

https://artisan-scope.org/docs/events/
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

#19: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

I will try using the slider to mark events, but in the current way I roast I adjust gas continuously after whacking it on after the soak so I think it would only be feasible to track air.
LMWDP #483

mbenedet

#20: Post by mbenedet »

What do you mean you adjust gas continuously? Typical roasts I see have only a few gas adjustments before first crack up to maybe...5? Then a few, maybe 4 or 5 tops after first crack.