Phidgets Help

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Beeroclock

#1: Post by Beeroclock »

Hi All

currently running a Mastech MS6512 with Artisan - but am looking to add some additional probes to my set up and am looking at the Phidgets 1048, possibly with a usb isolator. However following a discussion with Phidgets - they have recommended a VINT hub and some individual TMP 1100 isolated thermocouple boxes. Apparently these are a newer design and would provide a better solution.

Has anyone gone down this route? - cost wise would probably end up similar - just more boxes with the newer solution.

I'm assuming it's not possible to add an additional Mastech...

Any thoughts, recommendations much appreciated.

Thanks Philip

happycat

#2: Post by happycat replying to Beeroclock »

TC4 piggybacked on an Arduino uno clone is another option.

I have a Phidget 1048 but prefer the TC4 for reliability and control as well as monitoring. Someone on HB is making them again. The Phidget was really expensive and the only reason I bought was the TC4 was unavailable at that time. My Phidget is not in use and I should probably sell it.
LMWDP #603

Advertisement
Beeroclock (original poster)

#3: Post by Beeroclock (original poster) »

Hmmm, am now wondering whether to get my hands on a Centre 304 instead...

AlexGS

#4: Post by AlexGS »

Beeroclock wrote:Hi All
However following a discussion with Phidgets - they have recommended a VINT hub and some individual TMP 1100 isolated thermocouple boxes. Apparently these are a newer design and would provide a better solution.
While waiting for my Cormorant I'm using this Phidgets configuration to instrument my FreshRoast SR700 with 3 thermo probes. It works really well with Artisan and with 3 probes (heater, beans temp, exhaust temp) I'm able easily to get good roast where I struggled with other solutions allowing just one or two probes. TC4 is better only because you can use PID with it. And it's completely doesn't matter with a manual roaster like Cormorant.

BTW, I plan later to instrument mine with motors and sensors from Phidgets to make it full auto (or as close as possible), so VINT hub is an excellent choice as I have 5 more ports available for additional devices.

Alex.

Tonefish

#5: Post by Tonefish »

Beeroclock wrote:Hi All

currently running a Mastech MS6512 with Artisan - but am looking to add some additional probes to my set up and am looking at the Phidgets 1048, possibly with a usb isolator. However following a discussion with Phidgets - they have recommended a VINT hub and some individual TMP 1100 isolated thermocouple boxes. Apparently these are a newer design and would provide a better solution.

Has anyone gone down this route? - cost wise would probably end up similar - just more boxes with the newer solution.

I'm assuming it's not possible to add an additional Mastech...

Any thoughts, recommendations much appreciated.

Thanks Philip
I have and use both the 1048 and the VINT Hub'd 1011 and the VINT Hub route is far more versatile and less expensive. You can hookup all kinds of different stuff to the VINT hub. Some here (e.g. Moxiechef IIRC) have automated their airflow measurements with it too.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

Elephant

#6: Post by Elephant »

I use the VINT Hub and the TMP 1100 and it works well with Artisan.

renatoa

#7: Post by renatoa »

You can add a second Mastech, and a small piece of software can make both look and quack as a TC4 to Artisan.
I can code this driver for you, assuming you are on windows, already done for a single mastech.

Advertisement

#8: Post by Beeroclock (original poster) »

That's very kind Renatoa - I'm running a Windows 8 machine - (my daughter's) - I'm Mac based and a complete PC idiot - so would this be hard to implement? It would be the cheapest option for me as I already have one

Really trying to gauge what the most practical reliable way to run 3 - 4 probes is? The laptop I'm using can only manage an 1hr before it needs a charge. I could replace the battery or find a solution with the ac adaptor.

Cheers Philip

renatoa

#9: Post by renatoa »

Sorry, no skills to write code for Mac...
No problem for Windows, if you want I can draft this weekend something to try even without the second Mastech, just duplicating ports of first Mastech as ports 3/4 in a virtual TC4.

#10: Post by Beeroclock (original poster) »

Hi Renatoa

sorry about the late reply - I'm experiencing some odd spiking with my set-up - seems to have crept in, over the last few weeks - pretty sure it's to do with my PC-Mastech connection somehow.

See attached graph - massive spike...

So am thinking of ditching the Mastech - just don't know at the moment