Phidget and Artisan and Gas and Air Pressures - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
MaKoMo

#11: Post by MaKoMo »

I forgot the dimension of mine. Got it from some online store here in Germany. I could look it up, but the important thing is that you search for a fitting that fits to your test pipe;) Also the bending tool needs to fit your pipe. Then you need some "adapter" to connect that pipe to the Phidgets input.

SJM (original poster)

#12: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Thanks, so I guess the first thing is to get the Phidget 1136 and 1018 and a USB hub (passive)
Then find a test pipe with an ID to accommodate the sensor.
Then find a tool to bend the test pipe.
Then find a connector.
Then have a hole drilled in the HUKY.

???
Does that sound like the right approach....

Chert

#13: Post by Chert »

As far as putting a hole in the Hukky: For a test, could you use the ET analog probe hole for access for pressure testing?
LMWDP #198

mfortin

#14: Post by mfortin »

MaKoMo wrote:I installed a Phidgets 1136 last summer to measure airflow in my Probat LG3 on the exhaust. That setup still works as expected and I got informed that at least two others followed me and got this working as well on larger machines. I know that Morten in Denmark uses that same sensor, but is measuring the pressure in the roasting drum with similar results.

The main problem is that this sensor is not able to stand the high temperatures of the coffee roasting air. The trick is to connect the sensor not directly, but via some small brass tube and a short flexible tube connector. That way, the temperature of the air pressure at the sensor location is within its normal operating conditions. Further, I pointed the brass tube in direction of the airflow, measuring negative pressure (relative to the second pressure input of that differential sensor that I left alone at ambient pressure. That way I avoid that this measuring tube gets clogged by chaff or other particles in the exhaust air. Note that you need to ensure to properly bend that tube and not to fold it. I used a specific bending tool (see the pics below).

That Phidgets 1136 can be connected to Artisan via the general IO Phidgets 1018 or an SBC or any other Phidgets IO component supporting analog inputs.

Hope that the pictures below give you an idea of that setup,
Marko

<image>
How do you set up the sensor in Artisan?

MaKoMo

#15: Post by MaKoMo replying to mfortin »

The Phidgets 1136 needs to be connected via a general Phidgets IO device like the Phidgets 1018. Add an (extra) device of type "Phidget IO" (menu Config >> Device)

SJM (original poster)

#16: Post by SJM (original poster) »

Here's the 1136 . It wants tubing with an ID of 3/16".