Panama Elida Natural 2019 - Page 8

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
false1001 (original poster)

#71: Post by false1001 (original poster) »

It really is quite odd. I roasted this bean for an office group buy and some friends/family, 18 people tried my roasts and none of them said it tasted like blueberries while quite a few mentioned strawberry notes. Maybe it's a grinder thing? And/or over time the green aged and the roasters just did all of their sample roasting/tasting while it was that much more fresh, while we got the more aged green?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#72: Post by baldheadracing »

Almico wrote:I still don't know where people are getting blueberry notes with this coffee. I have roasted it 6 ways to Sunday and this is NOT a blueberry coffee.

Strawberry yes, always has been. Blueberry, no.
Okay, I am getting loads of strawberry from my last roast :D. Unfortunately, I didn't save in Artisan, but my notes are that the roast was fast;
3:23 Yellow
6:44 First crack (3:21 Yellow->1C)
7:33 Drop (0:49 dev. 12% DTR)
I was kind of expecting to taste some under-development, but seemingly nothing so far.

ETA: This roast's exterior colour is darker than the Klatch roast (I kept a sample), but that might be due to the fast roast. Perhaps the next roast will be slower, but with a little less development.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#73: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

baldheadracing wrote: :D. Unfortunately, I didn't save in Artisan....
Craig, Config>Autosave,

Big update to this feature coming soon based on a thread on HB. Separate paths for .alog and PDF with very enhanced naming choices.
I use this to save to a cloud from the machine I roast on, and I look and Analyze the profiles on a desktop with large screen and different Artisan theme.

But it works now as well.

Glad you are enjoying the coffee.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Almico

#74: Post by Almico »

baldheadracing wrote:Okay, I am getting loads of strawberry from my the last roast :D. Unfortunately, I didn't save in Artisan, but my notes are that the roast was fast;
3:23 Yellow
6:44 First crack (3:21 Yellow->1C)
7:33 Drop (0:49 dev. 12% DTR)
I was kind of expecting to taste some under-development, but seemingly nothing so far.
It is hard to underdevelop this coffee. Partly because it's a natural and began its development during the processing stage at the farm. Also, the extra sugars aid in a quicker post 1C phase. I've dropped this coffee at 11%, with an 8 minute total roast time, and it was yummy. I might throw a pound in my Cormorant and see how light I can go...

But I loath trading acidity for body. I like full-bodied coffee.

Chert

#75: Post by Chert »

Almico wrote:
But I loath trading acidity for body. I like full-bodied coffee.
Based on that notion, I took my roasts of PEN 2019 to 18-19% post 1C development. Shots are much more bodied and very rich. She loves her PEN latte and the doppio are good too. 1C fading but not completely finished at that level on my HUKY.
LMWDP #198

Almico

#76: Post by Almico replying to Chert »

That's it. 1C still popping in the cooling bin and finish within a minute. Coffee looks darker than it should at that level, but still boasts lots of strawberry.

akirapuff

#77: Post by akirapuff »

Almico wrote:Today's roast:

Hi , what do the lines on the bottom represent? sky blue = heat, green = fan?

Almico

#78: Post by Almico »

akirapuff wrote: Hi , what do the lines on the bottom represent? sky blue = heat, green = fan?
Yes

bicktrav

#79: Post by bicktrav »

Just trying my first cup. WOW! This thing is amazing. Deserves every bit of the hype. It's also a joy to roast.

tgappmayer

#80: Post by tgappmayer »

Also came here to comment on this coffee - My first go at it I ended up with 21% DTR, finishing at City+. My thermocouples were acting up so I don't really think my profile is representative of what actually happened, but wow, this coffee is a keeper! Strawberry, passionfruit syrup, big body, sweet as can be. Really lovely stuff.

Next time I'll keep the DTR much lower - around 15% - to see how this ends up.