Panama Elida Natural 2019 - Page 7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#61: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Rustic39 wrote:Pardon me please for jumping into this, but can anyone here recommend where I might order some of these beans already fresh roasted? I'm not far enough along to be doing my own roasting yet, but I do appreciate Panamanian beans, and haven't been able to find a source here stateside of roasted beans. I've only obtained them when I go to Panama, and I'm way out right now.

Try sending @Almico a direct message here.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

yakster
Supporter ♡

#62: Post by yakster »

Watch Klatch Coffee to see if they get it, they usually do, but @Almico might be a better bet.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

mkane
Supporter ♡

#63: Post by mkane »

Rustic39

#64: Post by Rustic39 »

I sent dragonfly a msg. Thx for the lead!

false1001 (original poster)

#65: Post by false1001 (original poster) »

I'm a huge Dragonfly fan and I roasted this bean extensively so I ordered a bag to see how my roasts compared. Very excited.

Almico

#66: Post by Almico »

I still don't know where people are getting blueberry notes with this coffee. I have roasted it 6 ways to Sunday and this is NOT a blueberry coffee.

Strawberry yes, always has been. Blueberry, no.

#67: Post by false1001 (original poster) replying to Almico »

Agreed, but i'm about to find out... coffee was delivered today

#68: Post by false1001 (original poster) »

Whipped up a chemex brew and, well, I wouldn't say I'm disappointed, but quite frankly I had better roasts than this, which surprised me greatly. I'm not a world beater by any means, and this coffee supposedly got a 95 from Coffee Review! Definitely more of a medium roast which means there's a lot less vibrancy to the coffee.

As far as tasting notes, it tastes almost identical to some of my medium roasts, and what I imagine most on this forum experienced as well. Strawberry/Raspberry, a bit of pineapple, with a silky, creamy sweetness in the finish. No blueberry from what I could tell. There's a hint of a kind of indeterminate fruity/berry flavor hovering behind the top notes, but if anything I'd say it's more stone fruit-ish than blueberry. No chocolate until the coffee was straight up cold, and more of a typical bakers chocolate kind of taste than the sweeter milk/dark chocolate you usually get with such fruit forward, high quality single origins. Still glad I bought it, but I much preferred my lighter roasts that tasted almost like Strawberry Hi-Chews.

Edit: I might do a "blind" (i.e. I put a number on the bottom of the cupping bowl and have my SO randomize the order) cupping along with some of my own roasts of some different coffees i'm working through and see if I can get more of an objective tasting.

Almico

#69: Post by Almico »

Naturally processed coffees develop quicker than washed. I think it's a combination of the additional sugars from the beans absorbing the fruit, but I believe it's also because the seeds might start "developing" while still in the fruit.

During roasting: complex carbohydrate molecules, loaded with all the energy necessary to sprout and form a new plant, break down into smaller molecules. As this happens, the energy required to form those complex molecules is released and becomes part of the Maillard reaction. In naturally process coffee I believe these molecules begin breaking down during the drying process and give the seeds a head start.

In effect, natural green might be partially "roasted" before it even hits the roaster. It takes a careful hand on the throttle to keep natural roasts from getting away, if you want them light.

I'm not sure where the "Dragonfly Lot" came from, but the coffee I brought in was from Roastmasters lot. I don't know if there is difference, but this coffee literally explodes with strawberry fragrance right from the grinder.

mkane
Supporter ♡

#70: Post by mkane »

Ours, from Klatch smells this way in it's green state. Sometimes I ruin it roasting it.