New to Roasting - What bean? - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
LBIespresso (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#11: Post by LBIespresso (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for your input so far!

Sounds like I will go with a washed Colombian or Central American that doesn't break the bank but is good enough quality that I am less worried about green defects and can focus more on what I need to fix on my roasting. I will likely go with enough for 25-30 roasts.

The seasoning thing is interesting. I liked that video. It was one of the few Mill City videos I had not watched yet. Sounds like a decent exercise for me as a complete novice with a new roaster. I will also ask in the Cormorant FB group or email Johan. If I find anything interesting I will post here.
LMWDP #580

baldheadracing
Team HB

#12: Post by baldheadracing »

LBIespresso wrote:The seasoning thing is interesting. I liked that video. It was one of the few Mill City videos I had not watched yet. Sounds like a decent exercise for me as a complete novice with a new roaster. I will also ask in the Cormorant FB group or email Johan. If I find anything interesting I will post here.
Actually, I now vaguely remember that Johan does test roasts on every machine ... yup, I may be getting old but the memory is still working, albeit slowly - see first post here: The Cormorant has Landed! If he still does that, then your roaster may well be already seasoned ...
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

LBIespresso (original poster)
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by LBIespresso (original poster) replying to baldheadracing »

From Johan, "Seasoning is definitely a thing, after your 10th roast you'll find that the drum has absorbed the coffee oils, from there its basically seasoned and over time will get better."
LMWDP #580

Mbb

#14: Post by Mbb »

What bean?

What coffee do you like?

I find several milder, balanced , washed Costa Ricans my favs for everyday drinking
Similar can be found from many regions, but its always a crapshoot to try

Naturals.....blech , keep them.....pleas e

Strong bold flavors or earthy are ok....now and then...but not everyday. If you roast 8oz to 1 lb, it better be a coffee you like to use it up in 2 weeks