Need some new roaster advice

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
RyanDe680

Postby RyanDe680 » Apr 15, 2019, 3:21 pm

I am currently roasting on the SR500 but am looking for a bit more control along with increased capacity.

I was thinking the new Behmor (the +) however its not yet available. I also was considering the Gene and I am at the point where I don?t know which is best.

I homebrew beer on a 1/2 bbl electric system so I have the ventilation and the dedicated space.

If there?s anything else to consider please share. Budget is somewhat open but I?d say 5-600 max.

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated. Thanks!!

another_jim
Team HB

Postby another_jim » Apr 15, 2019, 3:26 pm

The Behmor is less sophisticated, but a lot more hackable, as far as I know. So it may be a better fit, if your beer making implies other DIY skills.
Jim Schulman

DavidZ

Postby DavidZ » Apr 15, 2019, 5:52 pm

RyanDe680 wrote:I was thinking the new Behmor (the +) however its not yet available.

Any idea what new features will be added to the Behmor?

rhtrevino

Postby rhtrevino » Apr 15, 2019, 9:30 pm

Looks like a bit better insulation on the glass and a variable speed drum.

http://behmor.com/docs/Behmor%201600AB%20Plus%20US.pdf

Having had a Behmor in the past, I would probably shoot for the Gene, hindsight being what it is. I think there's a bit more control.

RyanDe680

Postby RyanDe680 » Apr 16, 2019, 4:00 pm

DavidZ wrote:Any idea what new features will be added to the Behmor?

Yes to the variable speed drum.

Other changes seem to be cosmetic.

DavidZ

Postby DavidZ » Apr 19, 2019, 5:41 pm

RyanDe680 wrote:Yes to the variable speed drum. Other changes seem to be cosmetic.

Doesn't seem like much. Not enough for someone to upgrade from the 1600+.

To take it to the next level they would need to implement bean temperature monitoring and roast recording/playback. I wonder why they don't go in that direction?

hankua

Postby hankua » Apr 20, 2019, 4:03 am

I think the new Behmor AB would be a good upgrade at $399 with #8 of green coffee. https://www.roastmasters.com/behmor.html
It's probably the case where Joe has reached the point where "economy of scale" comes into play. There also could be other parts upgraded inside the machine that are not mentioned. What about US tariffs on Chinese ovens?

The Behmor still does not have any competition at it's price point and capacity; and can roast other foods, nuts/cacao. Yes it's an entry level machine, however there are a lot of owners who have outsmarted the Behmor and roast outstanding coffee.

Jasper_8137

Postby Jasper_8137 » Apr 20, 2019, 11:00 pm

I have a buddy who has used both and much prefers the Behmor. I use a Huky which I've been really happy with. There is one listed on buy/sell page - it is higher than your budget, but is certainly worth the upgrade.

RyanDe680

Postby RyanDe680 » replying to Jasper_8137 » Apr 27, 2019, 11:56 am

At this point, I realize there's not much between $500 and $1,200 in terms of consistent roasters.