Need a recipe to roast for espresso with Behmor 1600 plus

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Mastone

#1: Post by Mastone »

I am a new roaster. I just want great espresso to drink. Could someone please give me the recipe for a great roast. ie. type of bean, which profile, how long etc. Getting 8 pounds of assorted beans has not helped much. I know it all depends on sound and smell but so does baking a cake and we have recipes for that. My machine is a Behmor 1600 plus.
Thanks if you can help.

happycat

#2: Post by happycat »

Suggestions

- edit the title of your post to include Behmor, it's a push button machine and different from others (click on pencil icon)
- share what you've done already and what you didn't like
- share what you mean by "espresso roast"... what you enjoy drinking (product name, varietal of bean, roast level, whatever you know)
- search HB using search function (top near to right) using Behmor. Espresso roast search terms
LMWDP #603

Advertisement
Mastone (original poster)

#3: Post by Mastone (original poster) »

Thanks. I have added the name Behmor to the title. I think there must be some goofy instructions on roasting out there. Every time I try to do a manual roast, I am not happy. I want a dark roast to make my cappuccino. I want to know which bean to use and how to roast it using the Behmor 1600 plus. Can this really be this hard? I don't want to become a barista, I only want to have a great coffee in the morning and I thought this was the way to go.
Thanks for your reply.
Aileen

mckolit

#4: Post by mckolit »

I have a couple of profiles I follow for my greens on my Behmor. Manual roasts. I roast 12 ounces per batch.

Washed
1 pound start roast setting, start. P4 manual setting. Hit D for fast drum rotation.
At 5 minutes p5. P5 until first crack.
Once first crack starts, p3, slow drum rotation for 45 seconds. P4 after 45 seconds.
I hit cool at 2 minutes after first crack.
I take out the beans, I have one of those shop vac cooling setups.
Roast is about 18 minutes.

Honey/Natural
I start with lower heat to begin but the same steps after first crack.
1 pound roast setting, start. P3 manual setting. Hit D for fast drum rotation.
P4 at 4 minutes.
P5 at 7 minutes until first crack.
Then everything is the same after first crack.
Total roast lasts about a minute longer.

With these two roasts they end before 2nd crack.

dale_cooper

#5: Post by dale_cooper »

Mastone wrote:Thanks. I have added the name Behmor to the title. I think there must be some goofy instructions on roasting out there. Every time I try to do a manual roast, I am not happy. I want a dark roast to make my cappuccino. I want to know which bean to use and how to roast it using the Behmor 1600 plus. Can this really be this hard? I don't want to become a barista, I only want to have a great coffee in the morning and I thought this was the way to go.
Thanks for your reply.
Aileen
Yes it can be that hard. Why did you think roasting coffee was easy?

You can absolutely have great coffee in the morning - by ordering high quality espresso from professional roasters. If you want to create your own coffee, you need to put the time in to experiment and learn. Your post comes off as someone who simply wants to push the easy button. Sorry to be so blunt.

#6: Post by Mastone (original poster) »

Yes, showing my frustration. I am quite willing to do more than push a button but I thought there would be clearer directives such as.... use these three beans as a start to roasting for espresso. Plus, when one roaster said to combine three beans for roasting, I did. It afterwards realized that the beans all roasted differently and I should have roasted them separately.
I also find that a lot of roasters refer to term in the roasting that are pretty meaningless to a new roaster.
Thanks for your response, however blunt. Haha.

#7: Post by Mastone (original poster) »

Thanks for profile. Which bean are you using?

Advertisement
mckolit

#8: Post by mckolit replying to Mastone »

I get my greens from Bodhi Leaf coffee. They usually put coffees from a region on sale every couple of weeks. I pick up 10 pounds at a time. I use the profiles based on processing method, not region, then tweak it from there. Mostly either end the roast earlier or extend the roast based on how the shots tasted.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#9: Post by baldheadracing »

If I may, then may I suggest starting with the general roasting and Behmor-specific information at https://www.sweetmarias.com I found their site very helpful when I started roasting.

Coffee roasting can be incredibly complex or incredibly simple ... like cooking. Not the greatest analogy, but it is not that difficult to fry chicken; it is hard to make Peking Duck.

Good luck, and enjoy the "heat wave" that BC is supposed to be getting!
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

happycat

#10: Post by happycat »

Mastone wrote:Yes, showing my frustration. I am quite willing to do more than push a button but I thought there would be clearer directives such as.... use these three beans as a start to roasting for espresso. Plus, when one roaster said to combine three beans for roasting, I did. It afterwards realized that the beans all roasted differently and I should have roasted them separately.
I also find that a lot of roasters refer to term in the roasting that are pretty meaningless to a new roaster.
Thanks for your response, however blunt. Haha.
Try the search function on this site with the terms "espresso blend"

You'll see typical blends of a big base of Brazil (sweet, creamy, not much complexity, might be dry processed which gives some ferment) then a middle of Central America (clean, sweet, some acidity), then topped with some African or SE Asia (fruits or funk) You'll see percentages given for each.

Roast them separately and blend after.

When I blend, I keep my roasted beans separate and then blend them when I make a drink (going by weight using a ratio). That way I can adjust the flavour with each subsequent shot until I get the balance I want. Given that a shot is around 16g for me, it's a few sprinkles of each bean. It's like seasoning to taste.
LMWDP #603