Need advice: Huky 500T + Cyclone

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Aguirre

#1: Post by Aguirre »

Hello all

Does anyone have recommendations on how to hook up a Cyclone to a Huky 500T? I'm looking for the specific parts (cyclone, variable speed fan, ducting).

Thanks!

Headala

#2: Post by Headala replying to Aguirre »

I made a cyclone for my Hottop, but I never had any issues with chaff going out anyway. My cyclone mainly collects the particulates from the smoke (creosote?), no chaff or dust since there isn't any.

Advertisement
Aguirre (original poster)

#3: Post by Aguirre (original poster) »

I see... in my case, in reality the 2 critical functions of the cyclone will be chaff collection and variable controlled airflow. It's really tedious having to deal with emptying the chaff tray after each session.

freeadvice

#4: Post by freeadvice »

Works like a charm.

edtbjon

#5: Post by edtbjon »

I use a cyclone with my older Huky500. I usually roast 5-8 roasts during a session, so the consistency in airflow during and in between roasts really makes a difference (for me).
After reading some threads on the old Huky forum I came to the conclusion that a DC PWM controlled fan was the way to go, as it is much more easy to control compared to any AC fan. (You can use a TC4 board for both controlling the fan speed and gathering TC data, having control through Artisan. There are of course also other solutions.)

I started up wanting to make some tests. As availability of cyclones is limited in Sweden (and the EU) I ordered a cheap Chinese PVC cyclone for some $15 or so, and attached it to a small plastic bucket. I had made several temperature measurements beforehand and found out that the temperature comes down very quickly once the exhausts comes out of the roaster. A 2-3 feet hose from the T (in your case) will take down the temperature to around 50-70C/120-160F.

Finding a suitable fan was also a challenge. You actually need a "ridiculously" small centrifugal fan, compared to the huge original Huky fan. (Even though PWM does a good job of precisely controlling the fan speed, I still wanted to use a span of e.g. 30, 60 and 90% of fan capacity instead of e.g. 30, 35 and 40%...)

The pictures are from early prototyping stage. The fan I eventually wound up with is even smaller, less than 4" in diameter.

When I ordered my Huky a long time ago, the T was not available, but I did order a special "J" exhaust pipe which directed the exhaust with only a 90deg bend in it. (The normal one was a 180deg which went down into the normal Huky exhaust sieve/fan/exhaust bowl setup.) You don't need a specially made exhaust pipe, as a piece of 1.5" blank will do. You can easily have a connector made at any car custom exhaust shop with a 1.5" to e.g. 2.5" or whatever you need for connecting an exhaust hose in between the roaster and the cyclone.

#6: Post by Aguirre (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Even though it looks like a DC fan is the way to go, I decided to give a shot with what I had already (the AC fan that comes with the Huky and my Variac) and all I have to say is that I'm REALLY happy with the results.

I've done 3 back-to-back roasts yesterday, and the airflow and repeatability seem to be perfect for my use.

It was a bit of a pain to find all the correct reducers, ducts and adapters, but in the end everything seemed to fit perfectly. Here are some pictures (now I just have to decorate and tidy up my "roasting lab" :D ):

Headala

#7: Post by Headala »

Aguirre wrote:Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Even though it looks like a DC fan is the way to go, I decided to give a shot with what I had already (the AC fan that comes with the Huky and my Variac) and all I have to say is that I'm REALLY happy with the results.

I've done 3 back-to-back roasts yesterday, and the airflow and repeatability seem to be perfect for my use.

It was a bit of a pain to find all the correct reducers, ducts and adapters, but in the end everything seemed to fit perfectly. Here are some pictures (now I just have to decorate and tidy up my "roasting lab" :D ):

<image><image><image>
Looks great! Where did you get the metal cyclone?

Advertisement

#8: Post by Aguirre (original poster) »

Headala wrote:Looks great! Where did you get the metal cyclone?
Here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/280370956318

YJN

#9: Post by YJN »

Have you come across any problems yet or things you would want to do differently? if not I'm definitely going to try this.

By the way what size duct hose did you buy to connect the Huky to the Cyclone, and is that a metal bucket on the bottom?

chuckcoffee

#10: Post by chuckcoffee »

Really seeing the need to get a cyclone hooked up. When all that chaff comes off, the screen on top of the fan becomes blocked and all the smoke comes out there instead of at the end of the exhaust pipe. The winter month result in more moisture in the system and easier to block. Also really just screws up actual air exhaust levels during the roast, Been doing 4-6 454 gram roasts at a time so looking to streamline the work process.

Just wondering on setups for those that have a standard Huky pipe setup. I will need to maintain the modular quick assemble setup as I roll my cart outside and roast on my back deck.

Various cyclones on amazon
https://www.amazon.ca/Collector-Filter- ... ewpoints=1

https://www.amazon.ca/Oneida-Molded-Dus ... JYZXFE0CAX

Comments?
I saw these setups for the t-version from other HB posters.I have been reluctant to convert to the t- version due to reported issues with the t-setup but could be convinced otherwise.
from Jonny

from Aguirre