My weekly roast - Mexican Chiapas Organic - 750 grams

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
zachig

#1: Post by zachig »

Hi all,

Today I've roasted 750 grams of Mexican Chiapas Organic.
So far, after completing 5 roasts on my TorreFattore 1KG roaster, it seems like this roast is the most 'successful' one (at least by observing the beans and roast profile).

Drying phase took ~5:30 Minutes, up to ~150C (~300F).
First Crack was at 9:45 at temperature of ~186C (~365F).
End of 1C was at ~12:15 at a temperature of ~197C (~385F).
I dropped the beans and ended the roast at 15:00 at a temperature of ~205C (~400F), just before entering Second Crack.
I 'stretched' the roast till 15:00, in order to reach FULL CITY (17.5% Weight Loss), which resulted in DTR (Development Time Ratio of slightly less than 35%...I hope it's not too much).

Now, I have to let the coffee rest a few days before tasting.

Attached a few pictures for your impression...

saepl

#2: Post by saepl »

For my tastes the development time is too long. I would probably have tried to hit SC closer to the 12-13 minute mark. With a development time that long you really have to pay close attention to your RoR as it gets really really low and you risk stalling. Even at your roast now I'd say you will have some baking notes. But that's my taste buds and maybe the long stretch from FC to SC works for your taste buds!

zachig (original poster)

#3: Post by zachig (original poster) replying to saepl »

Thanks for the tip.
I indeed lowered the power/heat a bit, during 1st Crack in order to Strech the development time.
Like you said, I hope I didn't stretch it too much.
Next time, I'll try NOT to reduce power/heat and try to reach the beginning (or just near it) of 2C at 13:00 with a ל-Developement Time of ~25%.

Thanks again,
Zach.