My "new" 5kg Turkish roaster has arrived - Page 38

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Almico (original poster)

#371: Post by Almico (original poster) »

Big thanks everyone! This has been quite a journey.

drgary
Team HB

#372: Post by drgary »

Congratulations, Alan. I'm not surprised, though, with the devotion you're giving this.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

MaKoMo

#373: Post by MaKoMo »

Congratulations! You just proved that clever application of a good roasting software pays off;)
★ Helpful

Almico (original poster)

#374: Post by Almico (original poster) replying to MaKoMo »

Almico (original poster)

#375: Post by Almico (original poster) »

Roaster pR()n:

TomC
Team HB

#376: Post by TomC »

That's interesting to see! Beautifully smooth BT ROR. It's interesting that it was possible with such a chaotic ET! Please share how it tastes.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Almico (original poster)

#377: Post by Almico (original poster) replying to TomC »

This is a microlot coffee from Nariño. It's a 1.5 hectare farm that produces about 30 bags of coffee a year. Small, dense beans and not your typical Colombia chocolate coffee. It tastes more like a central. It is very crashy coffee and subject to all the usual roasting defects from crashing and flicking. I actually dumped 5# last week because I caught a major flick from over energizing it nearly and not paying attention. As hard as I tried to convince myself that it was "OK", it was roasty as hell. The roasting version of a sink shot.

This roast is simply stellar. I just made a pour over and slipped a cup to an employee that usually favors darker roasts. But she has a good palette and after one sip exclaimed: "oh wow, what it this?"

It's completely developed with an overall sweet acidity. It's medium bodied with a free-floating pomegranate note held together with a bit of stewed prune. Not a hint of roastiness and very clean finish.

Now if only I can do this again...

Chert

#378: Post by Chert »

Tom calls it a "chaotic ET". Is that what your mustard plotline is, delta ET or delta MET? Would smooth changes in ET (or MET) result in smooth, delta BT? ( I doubt it, but maybe less swings are a good thing?) I don't know. I've been plotting it, and maybe it is time to try to make sense of the data I am logging.
LMWDP #198

Almico (original poster)

#379: Post by Almico (original poster) »

I'm finding that once a coffee dries (300*F) the RoR will plateau and even increase if I do not lower the heat. That's what you see in the ∆ET when I drop from 25% to 17%. I then lowered it again around 6:40 and once again around 50s before 1C. Those dips in ∆ET are necessary to maintain a steadily declining BT RoR.
★ Helpful

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#380: Post by pcofftenyo »

Almico wrote:
Now if only I can do this again...
+1