My "new" 5kg Turkish roaster has arrived - Page 36

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Rytopa

Postby Rytopa » Feb 28, 2019, 11:43 am

Mind sharing the weight loss for the above roast.?

Almico
Supporter ♡

Postby Almico » replying to Rytopa » Feb 28, 2019, 11:53 am

I did not weight this one, but it's typically 15% on the nose.

Almico
Supporter ♡

Postby Almico » Mar 01, 2019, 9:21 am

Getting there. I did this roast last night and shared some pourovers with customers this morning. We all agreed it was the best yet. Sweet and smooth, and very dynamic. It does seem smoothing the humps in the RoR has a direct correlation to sweetness in the cup. It will be interesting to see if this coffee can get even better.

edpiep

Postby edpiep » Mar 02, 2019, 4:07 pm

This looks nice, noticed on this roast you cut most of the gas in the first half of Maillard phase. Do you believe that to be a good approach to "de-humping" the 1 minute or so pre-FC?

Almico
Supporter ♡

Postby Almico » Mar 10, 2019, 10:36 am

Getting the hang of this. Although I did not mark it in Artisan, I opened the air damper up around 2:00 post 1C to help evacuate smoke and keep the RoR trending down. This coffee tastes very sweet and chocolatey with just a hint of juiciness. It's about all I could want from a FC Brazil/Colombia house blend.

But it is still not dark enough for some. It measures 55/62 Agtron and I need to get it to 50/56ish. In order to do that I need to reach 2C and drop around 415*. I'm not sure how to manage heat to get there and still maintain declining RoR.

Now that I have some decent data, I've been watching my ∆ET curve with interest to see how the coffee is taking on and giving off heat.

I just did an Artisan model in Designer. In order for me to hit my milestones I would need a curve like this:

I would get to 2C in 11:3*, drop in 12:00 and 25% DTR at 421*. I don't think I can do a full 10# and get there. Might have to be 8# batches for dark roasts.

**I'm not sure where the power settings came from. I did not input them.

Almico
Supporter ♡

Postby Almico » Mar 15, 2019, 9:20 am

The exhaust fan has been noisy from the start, but it's getting worse. This roaster must have had a fire at some point and it looks like the exhaust fan has been worked on. There is a funky liquid gasket there now and I'm pretty sure that is not original. At least I hope not.

So I need to do some surgery and before I take this thing apart, I'd like to have most of what I need to get it back together again. Any suggestions for gasket material for the fan? I guess it would need to handle 600*F?

OldNuc

Postby OldNuc » Mar 15, 2019, 9:40 am

That is RTV 106 or what is now sold as Permatex red. It is good to 450-500 and this is good to 700:Permatex 27036 Optimum Grey Gasket Maker, https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-27036-O ... way&sr=8-7

And it actually works as I am using it to seal up the exhaust to head gasket on a stainless steel header. Thin coat is all that is required.

Almico
Supporter ♡

Postby Almico » Mar 15, 2019, 9:58 am

Thanks, Rich. I fear I have a compromised bearing in there. But that will have to wait until I take it apart.

EddyQ

Postby EddyQ » Mar 15, 2019, 11:43 am

Permatex red is all you need and you likely can get a tube at your local auto parts stores. Look for gasket maker.
The air temps here may hit 500, although I doubt it. The metal fan housing won't heat to anything close to 500F.

OldNuc

Postby OldNuc » Mar 15, 2019, 3:40 pm

The 700F product is on the rack at any decent parts store. The Red 106 is a very old formulation and rarely not recommended for much anymore. For thr worry warts the red is from a lead oxide commonly known as red lead.

Not only that the gray is more color coordinated. :shock: