My "new" 5kg Turkish roaster has arrived - Page 2

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Almico

Postby Almico » Aug 16, 2018, 10:53 am

beanman wrote:Sweet!
Maybe you can leave that temp probe there for drum temp (or even move it higher if needed) then add another one in the correct position for bean temp.

The old bean temp probe seems to do more than just monitor the temperature. Here is a diagram of the gas hook up:

It seems it also controls the gas...There are up and down arrow buttons on the temperature indicator.

DaveC

Postby DaveC » Aug 16, 2018, 11:43 am

The probe in the front shows temperature and switches the burners off and on. I don't think the burners are banked in that one, so it probably switches the lot off except for the Pilot. The pilot will have sensor on should it go out, I think it will shut the gas off, but it might also perform a relight.

You might well find the probe is in the right place, think about how the beans tumble and pile up against the front of the drum when roasting 5kg and I would think it is well within the mass.

You also said it didn't need warming up, I assure you they should be warmed up for around 20 minutes before you roast and even then the first is never as good as subsequent roasts.

you probably have a good buy there, one you get your venting sorted, you can then set the airflow to where you need it to be...it's pointless trying to play with the airflow control during the roast., also don't have it too low or have the exhaust tubing too long unless you go for a much larger diameter than exists the chaff collector (e.g. use an adapter)..

I also don't recommend buggering about with the gas valve during roasting to try and profile....those sort of roasters are in, they heat, you decide at what temp the burners go off (usually 1st crack)...then later you dump. Theres no fancy profiling to be had, or needed really..

freeadvice

Postby freeadvice » Aug 16, 2018, 12:44 pm

I'm really interested in the follow up posts! I don't know if there has been anyone who has had two of these style roasters side by side to really discover the difference in taste between the two methods of roasting. Thank you for your contribution

Almico

Postby Almico » Aug 16, 2018, 12:47 pm

DaveC wrote:The probe in the front shows temperature and switches the burners off and on. I don't think the burners are banked in that one, so it probably switches the lot off except for the Pilot. The pilot will have sensor on should it go out, I think it will shut the gas off, but it might also perform a relight.

You might well find the probe is in the right place, think about how the beans tumble and pile up against the front of the drum when roasting 5kg and I would think it is well within the mass.

you probably have a good buy there, one you get your venting sorted, you can then set the airflow to where you need it to be...it's pointless trying to play with the airflow control during the roast., also don't have it too low or have the exhaust tubing too long unless you go for a much larger diameter than exists the chaff collector (e.g. use an adapter)..

I also don't recommend buggering about with the gas valve during roasting to try and profile....those sort of roasters are in, they heat, you decide at what temp the burners go off (usually 1st crack)...then later you dump. Theres no fancy profiling to be had, or needed really..

You might be right on the probe. We'll see. But if this probe is going to control the gas, then I still need another one for Artisan. I would also like to be able to profile smaller roasts, so below the sight glass would probably be the best place. The blue circle is about 3cm from the drum wall and clears the paddles by .5cm. At the 8:30 position it would be submerged in the bean mass...I hope.

The venting should be easy. I'm going to run 5" seamless ducting right through the old 6" stove flue. It would be about a 10' straight vertical run to the vent cap.

DaveC wrote:You also said it didn't need warming up, I assure you they should be warmed up for around 20 minutes before you roast and even then the first is never as good as subsequent roasts.

I was talking about my air roaster. Just flip it on and roast away.

Randy G.

Postby Randy G. » Aug 16, 2018, 3:46 pm

No experience with large roaters like this, but I would not mount the BT probe too close to any moving parts as beans can get jammed between during the roast which could damage the probe.
Espresso! My Espresso!
http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com

DaveC

Postby DaveC » Aug 16, 2018, 3:47 pm

The blue circle looks a good place....I wouldn't worry too much about profiling, your opportunities to do that in your particular roaster will be very limited to nothing at all.

Randy makes a good point though, there is quite a bit of pressure from being too deep in the bean mass and you need a good solid probe....which will react a little differently.

Almico

Postby Almico » Aug 16, 2018, 5:46 pm

Randy G. wrote:No experience with large roaters like this, but I would not mount the BT probe too close to any moving parts as beans can get jammed between during the roast which could damage the probe.

Got it...

I just ordered two probes. This one http://www.tcdirect.com/deptprod.asp?deptid=190/1 #205-016 6" x .125" It is ungrounded, mineral insulated and bendable after installation.

I'm also going to try this: http://www.tcdirect.com/deptprod.asp?de ... ch=201-180 #201-180 adjustable bayonet mount. This one is 3/16" thick. I know the general consensus is thinner and more responsive, but most of those proponents, including Scott Rao, are Cropster users. I'll be continuing to use Artisan, and from my experience, too responsive is not good. I'll try both and see which works better.

Almico

Postby Almico » Aug 16, 2018, 5:47 pm

DaveC wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about profiling, your opportunities to do that in your particular roaster will be very limited to nothing at all

Why is that?

trumz

Postby trumz » Aug 16, 2018, 5:52 pm

My SF6 also has the support ring around the end of the drum. Looks like a double layer at first glance.

For the BT TC, I saw somewhere that Rao said not closer then 3cm fom drum wall and 3cm from face plate. I installed (drilled and tapped) a 3mm Omega TC in my SF6 following those guidlines and works well.

Almico

Postby Almico » replying to trumz » Aug 16, 2018, 6:03 pm

He told me to find a spot a little more than 2cm, but not too far from the drum edge and no closer than 2cm. I think I'll split the difference. The faceplate is a bit crowded in that area so other fittings might be determinant.

I just ordered my 1/8" NPT tap and drill bit. Can't wait to drill a hole in my "new" roaster

Here's a shot of the proposed BT probe location: