Manual graphing roasts

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
slipchuck

Postby slipchuck » Dec 06, 2017, 5:38 pm

Is there a way to manually input the different temperatures in Artisan? I am still waiting for my thermocouple that can connect with Artisan but have a bunch of notes that would be better on graphs.
If Artisan can't, does anyone know a program that I can easily make graphs (I have no clue about Excell or spreadsheet)
Tried with my wife's Mac and couldn't get anywhere :[
Just something I can click a point with the mouse for every 30 seconds I logged.

Hope this makes sense or is even possible

Thanks!

Randy
The only bad decisions are the decisions you didn't make

hankua

Postby hankua » Dec 07, 2017, 3:39 am

That is actually a great idea, just point and click or type in a number and it automatically graphs.

ira

Postby ira » Dec 07, 2017, 4:27 am

hankua wrote:That is actually a great idea, just point and click or type in a number and it automatically graphs.

I did that years ago in RoasterThing, but everyone else seems to assume that you'll get a thermocouple and have it log automatically. I did it so you'd click a button every n degrees, not based on time, you click the button and it logs the current temperature and adjusts for the next increment. Not perfect, but really easy to use, a lot easier than entering a number every 30 seconds or so. But he uses a Mac so it's not a good fit.

Ira

Mbb

Postby Mbb » Dec 07, 2017, 4:44 am

Its pretty simple to write down bt and et every 30 sec or 1 minute, then graph in excel if desired. Although its a pain more than every minute.

You wont see charge and turning point well, but rest of curve will be pretty good unless heat/ventillation is being fudged with a lot and causing variations.

[creative nickname]

Postby [creative nickname] » Dec 07, 2017, 9:20 am

You can manually enter values in the Roastmaster app (iOS), and it will automatically create graphs for you. I did that for a while before I set things up to transmit data from thermocouples to the app via bluetooth. It will give you rough sense of how things are going but when you most want real-time graphing (during development, to make small adjustments to avoid "flicking" your roast) you will probably find that you can't manually enter enough data points to make it helpful (while still managing the other aspects of the roast competently). Or at least, that was my experience.
LMWDP #435

Sponsored by counterculturecoffee.com
www.counterculturecoffee.com: coffee driven people, people driven coffee